1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate curve f ds Line Integrals

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compute ∫f ds for f(x,y)= √(1+9xy), y=x^3 for 0≤x≤1
    2. Relevant equations

∫f ds= ∫f(c(t))||c'(t)||

||c'(t)|| is the magnitude of ∇c'(t)

3. The attempt at a solution

So, with this equation y=x^3 ... I got the that c(t)= <t,t^3>
    c'(t)=<1,3t^2>

I know that from the equation y=x^3... x=t=0 and 1... I don't know how to get the magnitude of such equation. They the lower and upper limit.

Another thing is I cannot for the life of me figure out how to take the anti-derivative of √(1+9xy)... which by the time I change to t it would be √(1+9t^4)...

Of course if I'm approaching this the wrong way please, tell me what I'm doing wrong. Please let me know if it isn't clear enough.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you mean ||c'(t)|| is the magnitude of ∇c(t)?
    So ||c'(t)|| = √(1+9t4), yes?
    Yes, but after you multiply that by ||c'(t)|| it will look a lot nicer.

4. Nov 9, 2012 #3
    No joke.... thanks to you. It cleared up a whole lot of dark and dreary confusion. I was plugging the number into the Magnitude equation and getting just a number for the magnitude. I didn't know that you just took the derivative as and used the magnitude equation from that.

THANKYOU!!!
    I posted another question and the past and began to worry if my wording or something was off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook