1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Integrate exp(-x^2), dx

1. hi all,

i've tried to solve this thing with Derive, but it gave me some vague erf(x) function (error function??). Is there some gosu-mathematician who can help me solve the integral?

[tex] \int exp(-x^2) dx [/tex]

tnx

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no analytic form to the gaussian integral. You need to look up values in the erf table for definite integrals.

4. ah, that clarifies a lot, thank you.

5. Tom did this using double integration here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=25798&page=2

Have fun!

6. Why's that?

7. It's the limits of integration that count here. Say you're trying to integrate a hard function, but there's a neat little trick for working out the integral from zero to infinity. That trick probably won't help you if you're integrating from, say, 1 to 5.729.

8. When I first did that integral (the trick way with the nice limits) I thought it was the neatest thing.

9. integrate exp(-(x/C)^k), dx with k>0 and C>0

Hello to you all,

i've tried hard to solve this problem related with the wind resources, but so far like Tom Mattson said in is post, i solved the problem to k=2, but i can't solve it to any k>0!!!

integrate exp(-(x/C)^k), dx with k>0 and C>0

Is there anyone willing to help me ????

Perinhas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?