Learn How to Integrate Sin x^4 with This Easy Tutorial - 1/32(12x-8sin 2x+sin4x)

• Thread starter teng125
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate sin(x^4) and uses Power-reduction formulas and Product-to-sum identities to convert it into sine or cosine functions to the power of 1. The final answer is 1/32(12x - 8sin 2x + sin4x).
teng125
may i know how to integ (sin x^4) ??

the answer is 1/32(12x - 8sin 2x + sin4x)

Physics news on Phys.org
teng125 said:
may i know how to integ (sin x^4) ??
the answer is 1/32(12x - 8sin 2x + sin4x)
Again, you can use Power-reduction formulas. Then use some Product-to-sum identities, your goal is convert that sin(x) to the power of 4 into some sine or cosine functions to the power of 1.
Now let's first split sin4x into (sin2x sin2x). Can you go from here?

i try to subs using cos2x=1-s(sinx)^2 but can't get

teng125 said:
i try to subs using cos2x=1-s(sinx)^2 but can't get
So you have:
cos(2x) = cos2x - sin2x = 2cos2x - 1 = 1 - 2sin2x.
From there, rearrange them a bit, you will have:
[tex]\cos ^ 2 x = \frac{1 + \cos(2x)}{2} \quad \mbox{and} \quad \sin ^ 2 x = \frac{1 - \cos(2x)}{2}[/tex]
These are call Power-reduction formulas.
So we will now use [tex]\sin ^ 2 x = \frac{1 - \cos(2x)}{2}[/tex].
[tex]\int \sin ^ 4 x dx = \int (\sin ^ 2 x) ^ 2 dx = \int \left( \frac{1 - \cos(2x)}{2} \right) ^ 2 dx = \frac{1}{4} \int ( 1 - \cos(2x) ) ^ 2 dx [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{4} \int ( 1 - 2 \cos(2x) + \cos ^ 2 (2x)) dx[/tex].
Now again use the Power-reduction formulas for cos2(2x).
Can you go from here?

ya,that's where i got stuck because i don't know how to get the sin4x.how to obtain 1/32 sin4x??

teng125 said:
ya,that's where i got stuck because i don't know how to get the sin4x.how to obtain 1/32 sin4x??
Did I tell you to use the Power-reduction formulas for cos2(2x). It's the last line of my above post (namely, the #4 post of this thread).
Since you have:
[tex]\cos ^ 2 x = \frac{1 + \cos(2x)}{2}[/tex], so that means:
[tex]\cos ^ 2 (2x) = \frac{1 + \cos(2 \times (2x))}{2} = \frac{1 + \cos(4x)}{2}[/tex].
Can you go from here?

oh...okok i saw it...thanx very much

Related to Learn How to Integrate Sin x^4 with This Easy Tutorial - 1/32(12x-8sin 2x+sin4x)

What is the basic concept of integrating sin x^4?

The basic concept of integrating sin x^4 is to find the antiderivative of the given function, which is the original function that when differentiated, gives the given function. In simpler terms, it is the reverse process of differentiation.

Why is it important to learn how to integrate sin x^4?

Learning how to integrate sin x^4 is important because it is a fundamental skill in calculus and is used in various fields of science and mathematics. It allows us to solve problems involving motion, optimization, and finding areas under curves.

What are the common techniques used for integrating sin x^4?

The common techniques used for integrating sin x^4 include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. Substitution involves replacing the variable with a new one to simplify the integral. Integration by parts is used when the integrand is a product of two functions. Trigonometric identities, on the other hand, are used to simplify the integrand.

What are the steps involved in integrating sin x^4?

The steps involved in integrating sin x^4 are as follows:

1. Identify the form of the integral and determine which technique to use.
  2. If substitution is needed, choose an appropriate substitution.
  3. If integration by parts is needed, choose which function to differentiate and which to integrate.
  4. If using trigonometric identities, use them to simplify the integrand.
  5. Integrate the resulting expression.
  6. If necessary, use algebraic manipulation to simplify the final answer.

What are some tips for integrating sin x^4 more efficiently?

Some tips for integrating sin x^4 more efficiently include practicing with different types of integrals, understanding the properties of integrals, and using a table of integrals as a reference. It is also helpful to check your answer by differentiating it to ensure it is correct.