Integrate y = 2pi Int dz int(1-r^2)*r dr: Solution

In summary, the conversation is about integrating y = 2pi Int dz int(1-r^2)*r dr with limits (0,1) and the question of whether to use integration by parts or a change of variable. The expert provides a summary of their solution, explaining that there is no need to use integration techniques and that the integral evaluates to pi.
maluta
y = 2pi Int dz int(1-r^2)*r dr and the limits are (0,1) (note int = Integral)

I was trying to integrate it by parts for the second part and I think I am not doing it correctly. Which way can I apply for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a change of variable.

maluta said:
y = 2pi Int dz int(1-r^2)*r dr and the limits are (0,1) (note int = Integral)

I was trying to integrate it by parts for the second part and I think I am not doing it correctly. Which way can I apply for it.
Which limits are 0, 1? Both? If this is
[tex]2\pi \int_0^1 dz \int_0^1 (1- r^2)r dr[/tex]
I see no reason to integrate by parts. The first integral is
[tex]\int_0^1 dz= \left[ z\right]_0^1= 1[/tex]
and the second is
[tex]\int_0^1 (1-r^2)r dr[/tex]
Let [itex]u= 1-r^2[/itex]. Then du= -2r dr. When r= 0, u= 1 and when r= 1, u= 0.
[tex]\int_1^0 u(-(1/2)du= \left{(-1/2)(u^2/2)\right]_1^0= (-1/2)(0- 1)= 1/2[/itex]
[tex]2\pi\int_0^1 dz \int_0^1 (1-r^2)r dr= 2\pi (1)(1/2)= \pi[/tex]

(I assumed the OP meant r/(1-r^2) for the integrand. Otherwise, there is no need to use any "integration technique" for this integral.)

Related to Integrate y = 2pi Int dz int(1-r^2)*r dr: Solution

1. What is the meaning of the integral in the given equation?

The integral in the given equation represents the volume of a cylindrical shell with radius r and height dz, as we integrate from 0 to 2pi. The function (1-r^2)*r represents the shape of the shell, and the integration allows us to find the total volume of all the shells stacked together.

2. How do you solve the integral in this equation?

To solve the integral, we use the method of cylindrical shells. This involves rewriting the equation in terms of the variables r and z, and then evaluating the integral using the limits of integration and any necessary substitutions.

3. What are the limits of integration for this integral?

The limits of integration for this integral are 0 and 2pi for the variable z, and 0 and 1 for the variable r.

4. Can this integral be solved using any other method?

Yes, this integral can also be solved using the method of disks or washers. However, the method of cylindrical shells is more efficient for this particular equation.

5. What is the significance of the solution to this integral?

The solution to this integral represents the volume of the solid formed by rotating the curve (1-r^2)*r around the z-axis. This type of problem is common in applications of calculus, such as finding the volume of objects with curved surfaces.