1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating a dot product inside an exponential

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is from Peskin & Schroeder p. 14 in case anybody's interested. The function is
    [tex]
    U(t)=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^3}\int d^3p\, e^{-it \sqrt{p^2+m^2}}e^{i\vec p\cdot(\vec x-\vec x_0)}
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Essentially you write out the dot product as [itex]p\cdot x'=px'\cos\theta[/itex] and then change to spherical coordinates and then effect a u-sub letting u=cos(theta). What I'm not sure on is why the angle is written with theta (the inclination angle, physicist convention) and not phi. I understand that the angle between two vectors is the same when projected onto a plane, but is that what's going on here? As in, the choice of theta is simply to make it easier for the integration?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

When you switch to spherical coordinates, the axes are set up so that the z axis is aligned with x-x0. You could, in principle, orient the axes differently. In that case, the angle between the two vectors will be a function of both θ and Φ, but why make things complicated?

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3
    Thank you, that clears everything up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook