Integrating ∫cos(x)^2*tan(x)^3dx using u-substitution and integration by parts

  • Thread starter Thread starter NWeid1
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
NWeid1
Messages
81
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


∫cos(x)^2*tan(x)^3dx

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Were learning Integration by parts and u substitution but this one I can't figure out. I tried making it ∫cos(x)*(sin(x)^3)/(cos(x)^3)dx and then ∫tan(x)*sin(x)^2 but I don't know if I'm going in the right direction because I don't know how to solve from here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


NWeid1 said:

Homework Statement


∫cos(x)^2*tan(x)^3dx

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



Were learning Integration by parts and u substitution but this one I can't figure out. I tried making it ∫(cos(x))^2*(sin(x)^3)/(cos(x)^3)dx and then ∫tan(x)*sin(x)^2 but I don't know if I'm going in the right direction because I don't know how to solve from here.
That should be [itex]\displaystyle \int\frac{\cos^2(x)\sin^3(x)}{\cos^3(x)}\,dx[/itex]

The integrand can be simplified to:
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sin^3(x)}{\cos(x)}[/itex]​
Then change sin3(x) to (sin(x))(1-cos2(x))

The integrand becomes:
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}-\sin(x)\cos(x)[/itex]​