Integrating factor vs. Laplace. Engineering problems

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using the integrating factor and Laplace transform methods. The speaker expresses a preference for the integrating factor method due to its simplicity, but acknowledges that the Laplace transform may be more suitable for more complex equations. They also mention a desire for mathematical elegance and provide the solution to the equation using the integrating factor method. Ultimately, the speaker suggests using the integrating factor method for this specific equation.

Preferred solving method

• Laplace transform

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
MexChemE
Hello PF! We were doing mass balances on mixing tanks in one of my ChemE courses, and in one of the problems we arrived at the following DE:
[tex]\frac{dC_B}{d \theta} + 0.025C_B=0.0125 e^{-0.025 \theta}[/tex]
Where CB is the concetration of salt in the tank and θ is time. The professor made us solve the equation using two methods, integrating factor and Laplace transform, and told us to keep working on following problems with the method of our choice. Personally, I preferred using the integrating factor method, because it is a very simple equation, and I don't like to be dealing with transform charts while solving problems, although I know that for more complex DEs the integrating factor method becomes really complicated, and Laplace transform remains relatively simpler. I think I'll be using integrating factor for simple equations like this, and LT for more complex differential equations, although I'm more inclined to use the integrating factor method. Also, which method do you think looks more elegant? Even though I'm an engineering student I always try to be "mathematically elegant," whenever it is possible. By the way, the solution of the equation is:
[tex]C_B= (0.0125 \theta +0.25) e^{-0.025 \theta}[/tex]
So, long story short, integrating factor or Laplace transform? Why? Which method do you think is more elegant?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, while both would give you the same solution. for your specific equation, I'd use the integrating factor method.

Mainly because I'd think the Laplace transform is kind of overkill for simple DEs.

Likes LAZYANGEL and MexChemE
Integrating factor sounds way easier, because the integrating factor eliminates the exponential on the right hand side which is fantastic.

##\mu (x)=e^{\int 0.025 \: d\theta}=e^{0.025 \theta}##

And when you multiply both sides by the integrating factor, you get:

## \frac{d}{d \theta} \left [ C_B \cdot e^{0.025\theta} \right ] = 0.0125##

##\int \frac{d}{d \theta} \left [ C_B \cdot e^{0.025\theta} \right ] \: d \theta =\int 0.0125 \: d \theta##

##C_B \cdot e^{0.025\theta}=0.0125 \theta + c_1##

##C_B=e^{-0.025\theta}\left ( 0.0125 \theta + c_1 \right )##

Likes MexChemE

1. What is the difference between integrating factor and Laplace?

Integrating factor and Laplace are two different mathematical techniques used in solving engineering problems. Integrating factor is used to solve linear first-order differential equations, while Laplace is used to solve linear differential equations of any order. Additionally, integrating factor involves multiplying the entire equation by a factor, while Laplace involves transforming the equation into a different domain.

2. When should I use integrating factor vs. Laplace in an engineering problem?

The choice between integrating factor and Laplace depends on the type of differential equation you are trying to solve. If the equation is linear and first-order, you should use integrating factor. If the equation is linear and of any order, you should use Laplace. It is important to note that Laplace can also be used for non-linear equations, while integrating factor cannot.

3. Can integrating factor and Laplace be used together in an engineering problem?

Yes, integrating factor and Laplace can be used together to solve a differential equation. In some cases, using both techniques may be necessary to fully solve the problem. However, it is important to carefully consider the problem and determine which technique is most appropriate before attempting to combine them.

4. Are there any limitations to using integrating factor vs. Laplace in engineering problems?

Both integrating factor and Laplace have their own limitations. Integrating factor can only be used for linear first-order equations, while Laplace can only be used for linear equations. Additionally, Laplace may not work for some non-linear equations, and integrating factor may not be efficient for higher-order equations. It is important to understand the strengths and limitations of each technique in order to choose the most appropriate one for a given problem.

5. How does the choice between integrating factor and Laplace affect the solution of an engineering problem?

The choice between integrating factor and Laplace can greatly affect the solution of an engineering problem. Due to their different approaches, the solutions obtained from integrating factor and Laplace may differ in form and complexity. In some cases, one technique may be more efficient or easier to use than the other. It is important to carefully consider the problem and choose the most appropriate technique in order to obtain an accurate and efficient solution.