1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating until symmetric bilinear form

Tags:
  1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am looking for some quick methods to integrate while leaving each step in its vector form without drilling down into component-wise integration, and I am wondering whether it is possible here.

Suppose I have a square domain over which I am integrating two functions w and v. Using integration by parts, what steps can I use to ensure that I end up with a symmetric blinear form + boundary terms?

2. Relevant equations

##\exists## a region ##\Omega## enclosed by ##\Gamma## and on ##\Omega## $$\int_\Omega{Tv\nabla^2 w d\Omega}=\int_\Omega{v p(x,y) d\Omega}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using integration by parts, whereby I feel as if I am completely guessing here:
    $$T\left[v\nabla w\right]_\Gamma-T\int_\Omega{\nabla v \cdot \nabla w dV} = \int_\Omega{v p(x,y) d\Omega}$$

Is this the correct symmetric bilinear form that I am looking for? How would that simplified boundary term expression be evaluated explicitly?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Dec 5, 2014 #3
    Unfortunately not. I have come to the conclusion that there is no one here who knows this particular material. It is a blend of math and engineering and computation. I will update the threads with solutions once I find them. I eventually do, but I have never gotten a single question of this area of material answered on these forums, which is a first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted