Integration and Laplacian in polar coordinates

In summary, the individual is trying to solve for r in the equation ∇2y(r) = Z, and is using the equation ∇2 = (1/r)(∂/∂r)(r*(∂/∂r)) + (1/r2)*(∂2/∂θ2) to do so. They have correctly identified that the terms involving theta become zero since y is a function of r only. Their attempt at a solution involves integrating with respect to r twice, and they have obtained the equation y = (1/4)Z*r2 + Cln(r) + K. They have also checked their solution by substituting it back into the original equation and getting Z.
chilge

Homework Statement

I have a function y that is axisymmetric, so that y=y(r).

I want to solve for r such that ∇2y(r) = Z.

Can anyone tell me if I'm following the right procedure? I'm not sure since there are two "∂/∂r"s present...

Homework Equations

2 = (1/r)(∂/∂r)(r*(∂/∂r)) + (1/r2)*(∂2/∂θ2)
--> The terms involving theta become zero since y is a function of r only

The Attempt at a Solution

2y = (1/r)(∂/∂r)(r*(∂y/∂r)) = Z
(∂/∂r)(r*(∂y/∂r)) = Zr
integrate with respect to r: r(∂y/∂r) = (1/2)Z*r2 + C
(∂y/∂r) = (1/2)Zr + C/r
integrate with respect to r again: y = (1/4)Z*r2 + Cln(r) + K

Physics news on Phys.org
chilge said:

Homework Statement

I have a function y that is axisymmetric, so that y=y(r).

I want to solve for r such that ∇2y(r) = Z.

Can anyone tell me if I'm following the right procedure? I'm not sure since there are two "∂/∂r"s present...

Homework Equations

2 = (1/r)(∂/∂r)(r*(∂/∂r)) + (1/r2)*(∂2/∂θ2)
--> The terms involving theta become zero since y is a function of r only

The Attempt at a Solution

2y = (1/r)(∂/∂r)(r*(∂y/∂r)) = Z
(∂/∂r)(r*(∂y/∂r)) = Zr
integrate with respect to r: r(∂y/∂r) = (1/2)Z*r2 + C
(∂y/∂r) = (1/2)Zr + C/r
integrate with respect to r again: y = (1/4)Z*r2 + Cln(r) + K

Looks fine to me. If you substitute that back into the original equation you do get Z, right? That's a good way to check.

Last edited:

What is integration in polar coordinates?

Integration in polar coordinates is a method of finding the area under a curve in a polar coordinate system. It involves breaking down the curve into small sections and calculating the area of each section, then adding them together to get the total area.

How is integration in polar coordinates different from integration in rectangular coordinates?

In rectangular coordinates, the area under a curve is calculated by finding the integral of the function with respect to the x-axis. In polar coordinates, the area is calculated by finding the integral with respect to the angle, and multiplying by the length of the radius.

What is the Laplacian in polar coordinates?

The Laplacian in polar coordinates is a differential operator that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to the distance from the origin and the angle. It is used in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering to solve differential equations.

How is the Laplacian calculated in polar coordinates?

The Laplacian in polar coordinates can be calculated using the formula ∇²f = (1/r) ∂/∂r (r ∂f/∂r) + (1/r²) ∂²f/∂θ², where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle.

What are some applications of integration and the Laplacian in polar coordinates?

Integration and the Laplacian in polar coordinates are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some applications include solving problems involving circular motion, calculating electric and magnetic fields in polar coordinates, and solving heat transfer problems.