Integration by Parts evaluation help

In summary, the conversation involves evaluating an integral using integration by parts. The problem statement is to evaluate ln(2x + 1)dx, and the attempt at a solution involves assigning variables U and dv to the given equation and using the formula for integration by parts. The conversation concludes with a hint on how to continue with the problem.
Hi,
Can you tell me if I am on the right track with this problem. Thanks in advance.

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral using integration by parts

Homework Equations

ln(2x + 1)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

ln(2x + 1)dx

= ln(2x + 1) * 1dx

Let U = ln(2x + 1)

therefore du = 1/(2x+1)

dv = 1dx

therefore v = x

Using the formula: [tex]\int udv = uv - \int vdu [/tex]

= \int ln(2x + 1) * 1dx = ln (2x + 1)(x) - \int (x)(1/2x + 1)

If any of this is correct, I am now stuck at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
01010011 said:
Let U = ln(2x + 1)

therefore du = 1/(2x+1)

Double check that differentiation :wink:

Other than that, it looks good so far. As a hint on how to continue, [itex]\frac{2x}{2x+1}=1-\frac{1}{2x+1}[/tex]

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals that involve products of two functions. It involves breaking down a complex integral into two simpler integrals and using a specific formula to solve them.

When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions, one of which can be easily integrated while the other cannot. It is also useful for integrals that involve logarithmic, trigonometric, or inverse trigonometric functions.

What is the integration by parts formula?

The integration by parts formula is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are two functions and dv and du are their corresponding differentials. This formula is derived from the product rule of differentiation.

How do I choose u and dv for integration by parts?

When choosing u and dv, it is important to follow the acronym "LIATE", which stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential. The function that falls first in this list should be chosen as u, while the other should be chosen as dv.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in integration by parts?

One common mistake is to apply the formula backwards, using u as the function to integrate and dv as the function to differentiate. Another mistake is to forget to include the constant of integration when solving the second integral. It is also important to simplify the integrals as much as possible before applying the formula.