1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts with orthogonality relation

1. Apr 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to integrate [tex]\int_{0}^{a} xsin\frac{\pi x}{a}sin\frac{\pi x}{a}dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

I have the orthogonality relation:

[tex]\int_{0}^{a} sin\frac{n\pi x}{a}sin\frac{m\pi x}{a}dx = \begin{cases} \frac{a}{2} &\mbox{if } n = m; \\
    0 & \mbox{otherwise.} \end{cases} [/tex]

and the parts formula:
    [tex]\int u \, dv=uv-\int v \, du[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution

I took [itex]u = x[/itex], and [itex] dv = sin\frac{n\pi x}{a}sin\frac{m\pi x}{a}[/itex]. Following the parts formula I get a final answer of [itex]\frac{a^{2}}{2} - \frac{a^{2}}{2} = 0[/itex]. However, this is incorrect. The correct answer for the integral is [itex]\frac{a^{2}}{4}[/itex].

I know how to do this using a trigonometric identity to swap out the [itex]sin^{2}x[/itex] term for a linear term involving [itex]cos2x[/itex], but I don't quite understand why this method doesn't work. I think it has something to do with linearity but I don't fully understand why one method works and the other doesn't.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is the same as
    $$ \int_{0}^{a} xsin^2(\frac{\pi x}{a})dx$$

An easier way to integrate this is to use a trig double angle formula.

4. Apr 16, 2014 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

If you have a "\left", you need a matching "\right". "\right." is necessary if you don't want a closing symbol. But this sort of thing is best done using "\begin{cases}":
    Code (Text):

I(n,m)  = \begin{cases} \frac{a}{2}, & \mbox{if $n = m$}, \\[1em]
    0 & \mbox{else} \end{cases}

gives
    [tex]
    I(n,m) = \begin{cases} \frac{a}{2}, & \mbox{if $n = m$} \\[1em]
    0 & \mbox{else} \end{cases} [/tex]

If [itex]dv = \sin(\pi x/a)\sin(\pi x/a)[/itex] then
    [tex]
    v = \int \sin(\pi x/a)\sin(\pi x/a)\,dx.
    [/tex] The integral is indefinite, not a definite integral from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]a[/itex], so you can't use the orthogonality relation to evaluate it.

5. Apr 16, 2014 #4
    Thanks for that, I managed to get it sorted in the end, I hit 'Submit Reply' by accident instead of 'Preview Post'.

I suppose that does make sense when I consider all the other instances where I've used product rule. We never evaluate the v integrand definitely. If the integral is always indefinite then why don't we have constants of integration floating about when we do integration by parts?

6. Apr 16, 2014 #5
    There isn't a need to use integration by parts. You can easily solve this by using the properties of definite integral.

Let:
    $$I=\int_0^a x\sin^2\left( \frac{\pi x}{a}\right)\,dx$$
    The above is same as:
    $$I=\int_0^a (a-x)\sin^2\left( \frac{\pi x}{a}\right)\,dx$$
    Add the two expressions for ##I## to get:
    $$2I=\int_0^a a\sin^2\left( \frac{\pi x}{a}\right)\,dx$$
    Use the orthogonality relation you posted to get the required answer.

7. Apr 16, 2014 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

We don't need them. If [itex]C[/itex] is a constant then [itex](v(x) +C)' = v'(x)[/itex] and
    [tex]
    \int u(x)v'(x)\,dx = u(x)(v(x) + C) - \int u'(x)(v(x) + C)\,dx \\
    = u(x)v(x) + Cu(x) - \int u'(x)v(x)\,dx - \int Cu'(x)\,dx \\
    = u(x)v(x) - \int u'(x)v(x)\,dx + C\left( u(x) - \int u'(x)\,dx\right) \\
    = u(x)v(x) - \int u'(x)v(x)\,dx + C\left( u(x) - (u(x) + D)\right) \\
    = u(x)v(x) - \int u'(x)v(x)\,dx - CD
    [/tex] and we can combine [itex]-CD[/itex] with the constant we get from integrating [itex]u'v[/itex].

8. Apr 16, 2014 #7
    You're answer is wrong because [tex]\int_{0}^{a} sin\frac{n\pi x}{a}sin\frac{m\pi x}{a}dx = \begin{cases} \frac{x}{2} &\mbox{if } n = m; \\
    0 & \mbox{otherwise.} \end{cases} [/tex]

The [itex]\frac{a}{2}[/itex] is after evaluation of the integral from 0 to a. So your [itex]\int[/itex]vdu is actually [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex]dx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted