1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration By Substitution It's Been A While

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It's been god knows how long since I've had to use integration by substitution. I've totally forgotten it. I am trying to integrate to solve for the value of an electric field at a given point. The integral I am trying to solve is:

(2kz/4(pi)(epsilon_0)*1/(z^2+x^2)^(3/2) dx.

I know the answer is (2kz/4(pi)(epsilon_0)*(x/[z^2(z^2+x^2)^(1/2)]

2. Relevant equations

I'm sure I have to set u=(z^2+x^2). This makes du = 2x.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm confused as to what to do now. The equation I'm integrating doesn't have an x in it anywhere. I don't think I can say du/2x=dx because I will have x's and u's in the integral, which is no good. However, I can't just ignore it.

Also, how did that z^2 get in there on the bottom? z is a constant in this integration and since u = z^2+x^2, the z-term drops right out. I feel terribly lost.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's really confusing. Why don't you just post the actual problem you are working on and how you tried to solve it?
  4. Feb 1, 2009 #3
    Sure thing.

I'm trying to find the electric field at an arbitrary distance z above a straight line segment, where the arbitrary distance z is measured above one of the endpoints of the line segment.

Relevant Equations:

We are given that the electric field of a line charge is [tex]\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int_P \frac{\lambda (R)}{r^2}dl[/tex].

Attempt At Solution.

A little element of the electric field is going to be pointed in two directions. One will be in the z-direction. The other will be in the direction parallel to the line. Using the geometry of the problem, I found that

[tex] dE=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\frac{\lambda dx}{r^2}(cos(\theta) \textbf{z}+sin(\theta)\textbf{x})=\frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\frac{\lamda dx}{r^3}(z\textbf{z}+x\textbf{x})[/tex], where the bold indicates unit vectors.

I split this up into two integrals. This is where I have to integrate by parts, and where I get stuck. I have for instance, one integral which is [tex]\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int_0^L \frac{2 \lambda z}{(z^2+x^2)^{3/2}}}dx[/tex].

I set my u = (z^2+x^2) and my du is then 2xdx. I am confused because there is no x in my numerator, and I can't just say du/2x=dx because then I am going to have both x's and u's in my equation when I integrate it.
  5. Feb 2, 2009 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, if [itex]u = (z^2+x^2)[/itex], then [itex]2x=2\sqrt{u-z^2}[/itex] right?....but I don't think that makes the integral any easier!

Try the substitution [tex]u=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+z^2}}[/tex] instead :wink:
  6. Feb 2, 2009 #5
    Ah, I got it, I think.

If I use the u-substitution you suggest, I get [tex]du=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+z^2}}-\frac{x^2}{(x^2+z^2)^{3/2}}dx[/tex], which, getting a common denominator yields:

So [tex]\frac{du}{z^2}=\frac{dx}{(x^2+z^2}dx[/tex]

My integral is then just [tex]\frac{\lambda z}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\int_a^b \frac{du}{z^2}[/tex] which, after re-substituting for u back into x's, and plugging in the bounds 0 and L, I get

[tex] \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda z L}{z^2(z^2+x^2)^{3/2}}[/tex].

Thanks, though I still wonder how I would have thought of that particular u-substitution on my own!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?