Integration by substitution u=tan(t)

In summary, the conversation involves integrating a complex expression using the substitution method. The attempt at a solution involves using trigonometric identities and a right triangle to simplify the expression. The final answer is -pi/2root(1+x).
MareMaris

Homework Statement

Integrate -1/(1+x(sin(t))^2) between 0 and pi/2 using the substitution u = tan(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

du/dt = (sec(t))^2
dt/du = 1/(1+u^2)

I've messed around with the integral and trig. identities but I don't seem to be getting anywhere changing the integral to make it easier to integrate.

Physics news on Phys.org
No idea if this would help, but I'd try writing dt/du = 1/(1+u²) as dt = du/(1+u²) and substitute that in the integral ##\int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{-1}{1+x(\sin t)^2}dt##.

Michael Redei said:
No idea if this would help, but I'd try writing dt/du = 1/(1+u²) as dt = du/(1+u²) and substitute that in the integral ##\int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{-1}{1+x(\sin t)^2}dt##.

Hmm, I had a go at that but I'm still left with this sin^2(t) which I'm not sure how to get rid of, I tried changing it to 1-(cos^t) and tried linking that to dx/du which is cos^2(t) but no joy so far!

sin2 = 1 - cos2
cos2 = sec-2
sec2 = 1 + tan2

In the end to get sin(t) and cos(t) in terms of u I just drew a right angle triangle with the side opposite to the hypotenuse as u and the side adjacent to it as 1, and worked it out using trig, seemed easier than using the identities and double angle rules that potentially you have to use because I know you use those to work out sin(t) and cos(t) with you use t sub.

I managed to get to an answer using sin(t) = u/(1+u^2)^1/2

MareMaris said:
In the end to get sin(t) and cos(t) in terms of u I just drew a right angle triangle with the side opposite to the hypotenuse as u and the side adjacent to it as 1, and worked it out using trig, seemed easier than using the identities and double angle rules that potentially you have to use because I know you use those to work out sin(t) and cos(t) with you use t sub.

I managed to get to an answer using sin(t) = u/(1+u^2)^1/2
Out of curiosity, what is the answer?

SammyS said:
Out of curiosity, what is the answer?

In the end after substituting everything in I got -pi/2root(1+x)

MareMaris said:
In the end after substituting everything in I got -pi/2root(1+x)
I get the same.

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a technique used to simplify and solve integrals by substituting a new variable for the original variable in the integrand.

2. Why use u=tan(t) as the substitution in integration?

Using the substitution u=tan(t) can be helpful when the integrand contains trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent. This substitution allows us to rewrite the integrand in terms of the new variable u, making it easier to integrate.

3. How do I know when to use integration by substitution u=tan(t)?

You can use integration by substitution whenever the integrand contains a function that can be expressed in terms of the new variable u. In the case of u=tan(t), this substitution is useful when the integrand contains trigonometric functions or expressions that can be rewritten in terms of tangent.

4. What are the steps for solving an integral using u=tan(t) substitution?

The steps for solving an integral using u=tan(t) substitution are as follows:
1. Identify the appropriate substitution u=tan(t).
2. Rewrite the integrand in terms of u.
3. Substitute u back into the integral.
4. Integrate the new expression with respect to u.
5. Rewrite the final answer in terms of the original variable.

5. Are there any limitations to using u=tan(t) substitution in integration?

Yes, there are some limitations to using u=tan(t) substitution. This substitution may not work for all integrals, especially if the integrand contains complicated expressions that cannot be rewritten in terms of tangent. In these cases, other substitution techniques or integration methods may be more appropriate.