1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by u- substitution (involving natural logs)

1. Dec 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\int \frac{1}{1+\sqrt{2x}}dx[/tex]

2. Relevant Equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to get it down to:

[tex]\int (1-\frac{1}{u})du[/tex]

[tex]= u-\ln{lul}}+C[/tex]

[tex]= 1+\sqrt{2x}-\ln{l1+\sqrt{2x}l}+C[/tex]

However, my book says that the solution to the integral is:

[tex] \sqrt{2x}-\ln{l{1+\sqrt{2x}l}+C[/tex] (Without the 1 in front)

Why is this? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2007 #2
    well i got

be careful with your re-substitution ... b/c you're "u-sub" was [tex]1+\sqrt{2x}[/tex] so you need parenthesis.
  4. Dec 23, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The difference between your answer and the books answer is a CONSTANT, 1. You also have a C in your answer. What does that tell you?
  5. Dec 23, 2007 #4
    It means that C=-1 but how do you find that out? What points are there to substitute to obtain C?
  6. Dec 23, 2007 #5
    How do you put absolute value signs around an expression? I've tried typing \abs{expression} but it doesn't work.
  7. Dec 23, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you click on rocophysics answer, you'll see the tex. He just used a vertical bar. The point to the C thing is that an indefinite integral is only defined up to an arbitrary constant. You can absorb the 1 into the C (as the book answer did). If you take the derivative of both answers you'll get the same thing. You are both right.
  8. Dec 23, 2007 #7
    Ohh.. so my book just sucked in all of the constants and made it an arbitrary constant C to represent all constants (including +1)?

How do you put a vertical bar? I've tried inserting the lower case L but to no avail..
  9. Dec 23, 2007 #8
    It should be a key on your keyboard above enter button. SHIFT+\ = |
  10. Dec 24, 2007 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, they just sucked the 1 into the C.
  11. Dec 25, 2007 #10

Gib Z

Homework Helper

It's probably better to think of [tex]f(x) + C[/tex] as representing a family of functions, rather than a function with some constant. That way;

instead becomes a redundant question, since f(x) + 1 + C has exactly the same members as f(x) + C.
  12. Dec 25, 2007 #11
    Yeah, I think it's better to think of it as a family of functions too. Thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?