1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of a Square Root including constants

1. Aug 10, 2011 #1

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2011 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Have you tried trig substitution? let x = 3sin(s) and then substitute in... you should get an expression that you can integrate, after a few trig tricks of course.

4. Aug 10, 2011 #3

5. Aug 10, 2011 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

It's just an intuitive solution I look at when I see a square root like that. If you substitute it in, you get sqrt(1 - (3 sin2(s))/9), or sqrt(1 - sin2(s)). This, as we know, is equal to cos(s), which is easy to integrate. Then we just need to handle the dx...

But I think once you have x = 3 sin(s), dx should be easy to find. :)

6. Aug 10, 2011 #5

7. Aug 10, 2011 #6

Char. Limit

Gold Member

You have a mistake at two places. The sin^2(s) should be (3 sin(s))^2 and the 3 needs to be a 9. Other than that, you're so-far good. After substituting, you should get an easy 3+2cos(s), which of course needs to be multiplied by dx. So while you're doing that, it might be a good idea to get dx in terms of ds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook