Limit of a Sequence: Does Square or Sqrt Change It?

In summary, if a sequence has a limit of 1, both its square and square root will also have a limit of 1. This is due to the basic theorem of limits that states if the limits of two sequences exist, then the limit of their product or quotient is equal to the product or quotient of their limits. Therefore, the limit of the square of the sequence will be equal to the square of the limit of the original sequence, which is 1. Similarly, the limit of the square root of the sequence will be equal to the square root of the limit of the original sequence, which is also 1.
Karl Porter
Homework Statement
I was curious, if I have a sequence that has a limit of 1
Relevant Equations
Lim an=1 as n tends to inf
Lim of an^2=1 as n tends to inf
Does the square of the sequence also have a limit of 1. Does the square root also equal 1? I've been trying to find some counterexamples but I think the limit doesn't change under these operations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Karl Porter said:
Homework Statement:: I was curious, if I have a sequence that has a limit of 1
Relevant Equations:: Lim an=1 as n tends to inf
Lim of an^2=1 as n tends to inf

Does the square of the sequence also have a limit of 1. Does the square root also equal 1? I've been trying to find some counterexamples but I think the limit doesn't change under these operations?
Can you think of a basic theorem of limits that would lead to a one line proof?

Hint: If ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = L_a## and ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} b_n = L_b##, then ...

• Informative
Likes pbuk and berkeman

1. What is a limit of a sequence?

A limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of a sequence approach as the index approaches infinity.

2. How do you find the limit of a sequence?

To find the limit of a sequence, you can use various techniques such as the squeeze theorem, the ratio test, or the root test. These methods involve evaluating the behavior of the sequence as the index approaches infinity.

3. Does the square or square root of a sequence change its limit?

In general, taking the square or square root of a sequence does not change its limit. However, there are certain cases where the limit may change, such as when the sequence alternates between positive and negative values.

4. Can the limit of a sequence be undefined?

Yes, the limit of a sequence can be undefined if the terms of the sequence do not approach a specific value as the index approaches infinity. This can happen if the sequence oscillates or diverges.

5. How is the limit of a sequence related to continuity?

The limit of a sequence is related to continuity because a function is continuous at a point if and only if the limit of its sequence of values at that point is equal to the function's value at that point. In other words, the limit of a sequence can help determine the continuity of a function.