1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of Mutual Inductance

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1
    Hello. I am working through the book "Analysis of Electric Machinery and Drive Systems" by Krause. On p.51, the mutual inductance between two windings (a and b) of a 3-phase machine (generator) is calculated. I am struggling to follow the integration performed on eqn 1.5-15 to arrive at eqn. 1.5-16

I have given the root of the problem: a double integral involving the product of trig. functions

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫sin ρ ∫cos(ζ - 2∏/3)(A - Bcos(2(ζ - θ)) dζ dρ

first integral is done from ∏→2∏
    second integral is done from ρ → ρ + ∏

result given in textbook is:

∏/2 * (A + Bcos(2(θ - ∏/3)))
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried expanding out the cosine and sine terms but the problem quickly blows up... :(

EDIT: I did perform the integral using MATLAB Symbolic Toolbox. The result agrees with the given answer. I'm just at a loss of how to do this by hand. It seems very challenging so I'm wondering if I'm missing a trick.

MATLAB Code

%2011-12-18
    %Derivation of main integral in eqn. 1.5-15 --> 1.5-16 on p.51
    syms xi A B phi theta
    first_int = int(cos(xi - 2*pi/3)*(A - B*cos(2*xi - 2*theta)), xi, phi, phi+pi);
    second_int = int(first_int*sin(phi), phi, pi, 2*pi)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd try expanding cos(ζ - 2∏/3)(A - Bcos(2(ζ - θ))) to Acos(ζ - 2∏/3)-Bcos(ζ - 2∏/3)cos(2(ζ - θ)). The term with one cos should be no problem. For the second one use cos(X)cos(Y)=(1/2)(cos(X+Y)-cos(X-Y)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook