Integration Problem with a Variable for an Upper Limit

In summary, when testing the statement "f(1) > 0" for the given function f(x), it is enough to graph the function and see that it has a positive area in the interval [-1,1]. Therefore, this statement is true.
carlodelmundo

Homework Statement

If f(x) = integration from 0 to x of ( 1 / sqrt [ (t^3) + 2] ) dt , which of the following is FALSE?

[tex]

int({1}/{sqrt(t^3 + 2)},x=a..b)
[/tex]

a.) f(0) = 0
b) f is continuous at x for all x >= 0
c) f(1) > 0
d) f'(1) = 1 / sqrt [3]
e) f(-1) > 0.

I know how to do a,b, and d. But how can I test for c and d if I don't know how to integrate such a weird function? I tried thinking of an arctan integration... but it looks "weird".

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't necessarily have to integrate a function to know something about it's values. For t in [-1,1], what is the sign of 1/sqrt(t^3+2)?

I can see that the graphof 1 / sqrt(t^3 + 2) from [-1,1] has a positive area. However, is this enough to prove that the integration is going to be positive?

I graphed the function... and when we take the integration from 0 to -1... will yield a negative error. Therefore, e) is wrong, correct?

Right. And, yes, if you have a positive area, the integral is positive. The integral measures area.

1. What is an integration problem with a variable for an upper limit?

An integration problem with a variable for an upper limit is a mathematical problem that involves determining the area under a curve when the upper limit is not a constant value, but instead is a variable that can change.

2. How do you solve an integration problem with a variable for an upper limit?

To solve an integration problem with a variable for an upper limit, you need to first find the indefinite integral of the function. Then, you can substitute the variable upper limit and solve for the definite integral by evaluating the function at the upper limit and subtracting the value at the lower limit.

3. What is the importance of integration problems with a variable for an upper limit?

Integration problems with a variable for an upper limit are important in many areas of science and engineering, as they allow for the calculation of quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of physical systems.

4. What are some common techniques for solving integration problems with a variable for an upper limit?

Some common techniques for solving integration problems with a variable for an upper limit include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is also important to have a strong understanding of basic integration rules and formulas.

5. Can integration problems with a variable for an upper limit have multiple solutions?

Yes, integration problems with a variable for an upper limit can have multiple solutions. This is because there may be multiple functions that have the same derivative, making them all valid indefinite integrals. However, the definite integral will always have a unique solution.