Integrate (X/X+d)dX: Solve w/Substitution

• Thread starter funkwort
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate the function (x/x+d)dx and suggests using the method of partial fractions or integration by parts. There is a discussion about using substitution and long division, and it is eventually determined that both methods yield the same result. The conversation also clarifies that this is a definite integral with limits from 0 to L, and the final answer is (L - d * ln(L/d + 1)).
funkwort
I cannot figure out how to integrate (X/X+d)dX. I know that I should probably use the method of partial fractions but the num and den degrees are the same and the den cannot be broken down. I guess I could use some sort of substitution but which? please help :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
try using long division to divide x by (x+d) & see what you get.

I'd do integration by parts.

You can write this as [tex]x * \frac{1}{x+d} dx[/tex]

The second part should look familiar. (arctan)

The [tex]\int{u*dv} = uv - \int{v*du}[/tex]

Let u = x and dv = [tex]\frac{1}{x+d}[/tex]

Edit: I made a mistake. Sorry. For the arctan rule to apply there needs to be an x^2 in the bottom. Maybe you can still do it that way. I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
but the num and den degrees are the same

What does that have to do with anything?

wait... if I let u = x+d then x = u-d and int (x/x+d)dx becomes
int(1-d/u)du = u - dlnu = x+d - dln(x+d). Is this correct??

Hurkyl said:
What does that have to do with anything?

You're very helpful :approve:

Thanks, I try. :smile:

I was trying to hint that partial fractions still applies when the numerator and denominator have the same degree. (At least, the first step of long division does)

Very Simple Way, Here It,

(x)/(x+d) = (x+d-d)/(x+d) = (1) - (d/(x+d))

then the answer will be:

x - d*ln(x+d) + C

hehe, isn't that easy?

Last edited:
The above is correct, except it is "-" instead of "+".

HEHE, right, i fixed it :P

TheDestroyer said:
Very Simple Way, Here It,

(x)/(x+d) = (x+d-d)/(x+d) = (1) - (d/(x+d))

then the answer will be:

x - d*ln(x+d) + C

hehe, isn't that easy?

Ok, I see, thanks. However, I don't understand why the below procedure doesn't work when it's just another simple substitution??

if I let u = x+d then x = u-d and int (x/x+d)dx becomes int(1-d/u)du = u - dlnu = x+d - dln(x+d).

I don't understand why the below procedure doesn't work when it's just another simple substitution??

Because you forgot the constant of integration.

I understand that I forgot the constant of integration, but I am referring to the fact that Destroyer's procedure produces: x - dln(x+d) + C while the other procedure produces (x+d) - dln(x+d) + C. Shouldn't they produce the same value considering they are merely two different substitutions?

Shouldn't they produce the same value considering they are merely two different substitutions?

The two answers are the same.

no ... x does not equal x+d

you're not helping me here

Yes he is...he told you the answers were the same. You should have believed him. x is not x + d. But what is d? d is a constant. So did you really get a different answer from TheDestroyer's (lol at the name)? No, you did not. Both answers are valid *antiderivatives*, because when you differentiate them with respect to x, all constant terms drop out...and you end up back with the integrand. So absorb d into C...they are both constant terms. Your new C = C+d. Happy? :wink:

Ok wait, I just realized I made a mistake at the beginning of the thread. I should have clarified that this isn't an indefinite integral. The limits are from (0 to L) so:

1) let u = x+d then x = u-d
(x/x+d)dx = (1-d/u)du = u - dlnu = x+d - dln(x+d)

from (0 to L) = (L+d) - dln(1+L/d)

2) (x)/(x+d)dx = (x+d-d)/(x+d)dx = (1) - (d/(x+d))dx = x - dln(x+d)

from (0 to L) = L - dln(1+L/d)

am I still missing it, or are they still the same?

PS. forgive for going on and on :blushing:

Last edited:
Yes, they are still one and the same. When taking the definite integral, you will subtract one from the other, so:

[tex]g(L) - g(0) = L + d - d * \ln(L+d) - (0+d - d * \ln(0+d))
= L - 0 + d - d - d * \ln(L+d) + d * \ln(0+d) = L - d(\ln(L+d) - \ln(d))
= L - d * \ln(L/d + 1)[/tex]

Notice how the d cancels out the -d (just like the arbitrary constant of integration, C, cancels out) when you take the definite integral.

Last edited:
holy crap ... lol. I can't believe I didn't see that
thank you

FAQ: Integrate (X/X+d)dX: Solve w/Substitution

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is the reverse of differentiation and is used to solve a variety of problems in calculus and other fields of mathematics.

2. What is the purpose of integration?

The main purpose of integration is to find the total accumulated value of a function, which can represent quantities such as distance, velocity, or volume. It is also used to find the average value of a function and to solve optimization problems.

3. What is substitution in integration?

Substitution is a technique used to simplify the integration of a function by replacing the original variable with a new one. This new variable is often chosen to make the integrand (the function being integrated) easier to integrate.

4. How do you solve an integration problem using substitution?

To solve an integration problem using substitution, follow these steps:
1. Identify the variable that needs to be substituted.
2. Choose a new variable to replace it.
3. Rewrite the integrand in terms of the new variable.
4. Substitute the new variable and its derivative into the original integral.
5. Solve the resulting integral.
6. Substitute the original variable back into the solution.

5. Can substitution be used in all integration problems?

No, substitution is not always the most efficient or appropriate technique for solving integration problems. It is most useful when the integrand has a specific form or structure that can be simplified by substitution. Other techniques, such as integration by parts and trigonometric substitution, may be more suitable for different types of integrands.