1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration problems. (Integration by parts)

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I have a test coming up soon so I was doing some questions from the textbook when I stumbled upon this one and I'm stuck after like 5 tries. Here is the question:

2. Relevant equations

the question then states we should solve using this:
    cos^2(x)dx = (cos x)(cos x)

which gives us:
    [tex]\int[/tex]cos^2(x)dx = sinxcosx + [tex]\int[/tex]sin^2(x)dx

finally we should use sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 to replace the sin^2(x) at the right side of integral.

3. The attempt at a solution
    so basically I tried using integral by parts, since we are studying this topic currently
    and set:

u= 1 - cos^2(x) and dv = dx
    du = 2cosxsinx and v = x

When I plug in the values into the integration and try to solve I don't end up with their answer. I must be overlooking something and this is where I am stuck:

[tex]\int[/tex]cos^2(x)dx = sinxcosx + x(1-cos^2x) - [tex]\int[/tex]2xcosxsinx

The final answer should be:
    [tex]\int[/tex]cos^2(x)dx = 1/2sinxcosx + 1/2x + C

Thanks for the help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2
    All problems of that type can be solved using this "formulas" :

[tex]\int[/tex]cos^n(x)dx = 1/nsinxcos^n-1(x) +n-1/n [tex]\int[/tex]sin^n-2(x)dx

[tex]\int[/tex]sin^n(x)dx = -1/nsin^n-1(x)cosx +n-1/n [tex]\int[/tex]sin^n-2(x)dx
  4. Feb 14, 2008 #3
    well, you could also use this identity

cos^2(x)=(1+cos(2x))/2, it would really help you get to the answer pretty quickly, and without needing to do ineg by parts at all.
  5. Feb 14, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

However, the point of the method that was suggested originally is that, after the first integration you have, as you say,
    [tex]\int cos^2(x)dx = sinxcosx + \int sin^2(x)dx[/tex]
    Now let [itex]sin^2(x)= 1- cos^2(x)[/itex] and that becomes
    [tex]\int cos^2(x)dx= sin(x) cos(x)+ \int (1- cos^2(x))dx[/tex]
    [tex]\int cos^2(x)dx= sin(x) cos(x)+ \int dx- \int cos^2(x) dx[/tex]
    [tex]\int cos^2(x)dx= sin(x) cos(x)+ x - \int cos^2(x) dx[/tex]
    Add [itex]\int cos^2(x)dx[/itex] to both sides of the equation and you are almost done.
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. Feb 14, 2008 #5
    Halls off Ivy thanks a lot, I forgot that rule of integration. thanks a lot, yeah now that I tried it out it actually works. Thanks a lot.
  7. May 12, 2009 #6
    [tex] cos^2(x)dx= 1+cos2x/2[/tex]

wat i wanna ask is.....is this the formula for cos^2x dx or can it be used wid [tex]\int[/tex] too??
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?