1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration, u substitution, 1/u

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Integration, u substitution, 1/u

-- +C at the end of the integral solutions, I can't seem to add it in the LaTeX thing --

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    #1 [tex]\int\frac{1}{8-4x}dx[/tex]
    #2 [tex]\int\frac{1}{2x}dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Rewrite algebraically:

Pull out constant:

Usub, u=x-2, du=1*dx,

[tex]\frac{-ln(u)}{4}[/tex] -> Answer: [tex]\frac{-ln(x-2)}{4}[/tex]

Pull out constant: [tex]\frac{1}{2}*\int\frac{1}{x}dx[/tex]

Answer: [tex]\frac{ln(x)}{2}[/tex]

--OR, if I don't pull out constants--

Usub, u=8-4x, du=-4dx,

[tex]\frac{-ln(u)}{4}[/tex] -> Answer: [tex]\frac{-ln(8-4x)}{4}[/tex], which =/= [tex]\frac{-ln(x-2)}{4}[/tex]

Usub, u=2x, du = 2dx,

[tex]\frac{ln(u)}{2}[/tex] -> Answer: [tex]\frac{ln(2x)}{2}[/tex], which =/= [tex]\frac{ln(x)}{2}[/tex]

I know the answers are -1/4*ln(8-4x) and ln(x)/2 respectively, but I don't understand why I cannot pull out the constant for the first one, yet I am required to pull it out for the second?

Bonus question: Why does my TI-89 integrate #1 incorrectly, but #2 correctly? :(
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2007 #2
    (8-4x),x ... did you mean dx? cuz i'm confused.

#2 is correct for sure, let me go back to # 1.

i'm getting dizzy reading your text but from what i see, your algebra-manipulation should have been for #1

4. Sep 9, 2007 #3
    Yeah, by integrate(4x,x) I would mean 4x*dx. It's standard notation when typing integrals for calculators/CAS's etc, I did it that way because I was thinking the forums might automatically convert it to the proper mathematical symbols.
  5. Sep 9, 2007 #4
    oh sorry, i did not know that! :)
  6. Sep 9, 2007 #5
    Ah hah, that's how you make it pretty!

Anyway yeah, I have [tex]\frac{-1}{4}\int\frac{1}{x-2}[/tex]
    which is equivalent and still valid, right?
  7. Sep 9, 2007 #6
    Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997 it gets addicting!!!

yep, don't forget + C ;) .. -1 or maybe the whole problem will be counted wrong, lol :D
  8. Sep 9, 2007 #7
    when you do your final integrations the ln shouldn't be in the denominator of the fraction.

It's (-1/4)*(lnx-2)+c which gives -ln(x-2)/4 + C the same goes for the second one.
  9. Sep 9, 2007 #8
    Oh sorry, just an error while converting to [tex] images I think.

-ln(x-2)/4+c is incorrect though, which is my problem.
  10. Sep 9, 2007 #9
    I'm not sure why you pulled the constant out in the first place. I would go u = 8-4x du= -4dx and then write (-1/4)*integral 1/u du.

Integrate and get (-1/4)ln(8-4x)

the second one I would make u = 2x du = 2dx and then write the integral as 1/2 * integral 1/u * du and the integrate and get (1/2) ln (2x)
  11. Sep 9, 2007 #10
    Right, I did both of them both ways. If you do not pull out the constants, you get the correct answer for #1. However, #2 is not (1/2)*ln(2x), it is ln(x)/2.

Pull out constants:
    #1 wrong, #2 right

Do NOT pull out constants:
    #1 right, #2 wrong
  12. Sep 9, 2007 #11
    there really is no benefit in simplifying this problem, i would just go at what you're given.
  13. Sep 9, 2007 #12
    I'm not sure what you're saying. I shouldn't pull out constants?

Why is it wrong to pull them out then?
    And how do you correctly do #2 without pulling out constants first?
  14. Sep 9, 2007 #13
    for 1, integrate by u subst., but 2 you have to pull out the constant.

i just don't see a point in pulling out a constant for 1 b/c you run the risk of making algebraic mistakes, that's all really.
  15. Sep 9, 2007 #14
    I agree, but why is it wrong when I do? I think we can agree that there are no algebraic mistakes there. Why do I HAVE to pull them out for #2?
  16. Sep 9, 2007 #15

Science Advisor

ln(2x) = ln(x) + ln(2) = ln(x) + C, with C = ln(2). Since indefinite integrals are only defined up to an additive constant, your two answers are the same. This is true for both problems.
  17. Sep 10, 2007 #16
    Ah hah! Thanks :) [hits self on head]
  18. Sep 10, 2007 #17

Science Advisor

You're welcome! :) (It's always the little things that cause trouble ...)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?