1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Using Partial Fractions

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate (x^3 - 8x^2 - 1)/((x+3)(x^2-4x+5))

2. Relevant equations

This is an integration by partial fractions.

3. The attempt at a solution

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+%28%28x^3-8x^2-1%29%2F%28%28x%2B3%29%28x^2-4x%2B5%29%29%29dx

I understand everything except where the integrand is rewritten after finding A, B, and C of the partial fraction decomposition. If anyone can help me understand how the integrand is rewritten that would be great. I just cannot make any sense out of it.

Thanks

Edit: If anyone is unfamiliar with WolframAlpha there is a "show steps" button in the top right corner of the problem statement, this is what I am referring to. It is about the 4th step down, rewrite the integrand.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2011 #2
    Here is a screenshot of the part I am asking about.

Attached Files:

4. Oct 3, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

They're starting with this part of the problem:
    [tex]\int \frac{14 - 41x}{x^2 - 4x + 5}dx[/tex]

What they're doing is manipulating things that that a substitution of u = x2 - 4x + 5 (hence du = (2x - 4) dx) will work.

To get a numerator of -41/2*x + 82, which equals -(41/2)(2x - 4), they need to keep the numerator unchanged, so they are subtracting 68.

14 - 41x = -41x + 82 - 68 = -41/2(2x - 4) - 68

5. Oct 3, 2011 #4
    Yep I see it. I noticed the differential so I thought it was a substitution but I just could not get my head around the manipulation. Thank you for breaking it down for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook