1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interatomic coulombic potential

1. Jun 28, 2012 #1
    I am trying to calculate coulombic potentials. The equation given in wikipedia is

where k_e is in units of N m^2 C^-2, q are the partial charges, and r is the distance.

However, I look here and they give k_e=2.31*10^19 and remove the square of the distance. I assume that the difference is related to the units, which is in J*nm in this other resource, but if k_e is a constant then how can an equation of the form 1/r^2 give the same answer as one with the form 1/r?

Also, is the given value of k_e (2.31*10^19 J*nm) very accurate? What is the more accurate value?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2012 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Hypatio! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    the force is ~ 1/r2

the potential is ~ 1/r :wink:
    i don't recognise that figure

the usual constant in Coulomb's law is 8.988 x 109 N m2/C2

(or 8.987 551 787 368 176 4, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law#The_law)
  4. Jun 28, 2012 #3
    The formula in the paper is for energy and not for force:
    The numerical constant comes from the units: they use the numerical charge (number of electron charges) and not the charge in coulombs.
    They also use the distance in nm.
    So the number you see is

[tex]k_e\times e^2\times 10^9[/tex]
  5. Jun 28, 2012 #4

What is the difference between the partial charge and the 'numerical charge'? Also, what is the parameter e?
  6. Jun 28, 2012 #5
    Numerical charge is the charge in units of elementary (electron charge).
    e is the value of the elementary charge (1.6x10^(-19) C).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook