Interchanging Limits: When Does Equality Hold?

• Thread starter EV33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses the interchangeability of limits in a function f(x, y) when approaching (0, 0). The question is when does this equality hold and examples are given to demonstrate when it is true and when it is not.
EV33

Homework Statement

I was trying to prove something and I ended up in a situation similar to,

(limit t[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0)(limit s[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0) f(x+s,y+t)

=(limit s[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0)(limit t[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0)f(x+s,y+t)

My question is when does this equality hold. I can't find it anywhere?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you so much. My function is continuous.

EV33 said:
Thank you so much. My function is continuous.

Sorry, deleted my answer because I was looking at something else and wanted to concentrate on that for a bit. But sure, if f is continuous at (x,y) you can interchange the limits. I was trying to think of a case where it's not true.

There exist examples, in most Calculus texts, which I don't have available now, of functions f(x, y) in which approaching (0, 0) along any straight line (such as going from (x, y) to (x, 0) then from (x, 0) to (0, 0), which is the same as "lim_(x->0)lim_(y->0) f(x, y)" or going from (x, y) to (0, y) then from (0, y) to (0, 0), which is the same as "lim_(y->0)lim_(x->0) f(x,y)) gives the same answer, the value of the function, so that "situation holds" but taking the limit along a quadratic curve gives a different answer so the function is NOT continuous.

Related to Interchanging Limits: When Does Equality Hold?

1. What is the concept of interchanging limits?

The concept of interchanging limits refers to the ability to switch the order of taking limits in a mathematical expression, while still obtaining the same result.

2. When can limits be interchanged?

Limits can be interchanged when both limits exist and the function being evaluated is continuous at the point where the limits are being taken.

3. What are the conditions for equality to hold when interchanging limits?

The conditions for equality to hold when interchanging limits are that both limits exist, the function being evaluated is continuous at the point where the limits are being taken, and the limit of the nested function also exists.

4. Can limits always be interchanged?

No, limits cannot always be interchanged. There are certain cases where the limits do not exist or the function is not continuous, making it impossible to interchange the limits.

5. How can interchanging limits be useful in mathematical calculations?

Interchanging limits can be useful in simplifying complicated expressions and solving challenging mathematical problems. It can also help to prove certain theorems and properties in calculus.