Interested in a career in Medical Physics

In summary, the conversation is about a person who got accepted to Ga Tech for a BS in Mechanical Engineering. They are considering pursuing a MS in medical physics, but are unsure if it is possible or if they should go into nuclear and radiological engineering or biomedical engineering instead. They are mainly concerned about having a stable career and helping people rather than becoming wealthy. They are directed to a thread about medical physics and someone suggests that nuclear engineering may be the best route. There is also a question about whether Ga Tech is a good school for nuclear engineering or if a smaller and better school would be a better option.
gatech2012
Hi, I just got accepted to Ga Tech and I applied for the BS in Mechanical Engineering.
I was wondering if anyone knows if I can pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering and get a MS in medical physics? if not , should I just go into nuclear and radiological engineering or biomedical engineering? I don’t really care to be wealthy. I just want to have a stable career and being able to help people.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, I think the nuclear engineering may be the best route...

Is Ga tech a great school for nuclear engineering or am I wasting money there when i can go to a smaller and better school?

Congratulations on your acceptance to Ga Tech and your interest in pursuing a career in medical physics! As a scientist in this field, I can provide some insights and advice for your career path.

Firstly, it is definitely possible to pursue a MS in medical physics with a BS in mechanical engineering. Many medical physicists come from a variety of backgrounds, including mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and physics. In fact, having a strong background in mechanical engineering can be advantageous in medical physics as it involves understanding and designing complex systems and equipment used in medical imaging and radiation therapy.

That being said, it is important to note that a MS in medical physics typically requires a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and biology. If you do choose to pursue a MS in medical physics with a BS in mechanical engineering, you may need to take some additional courses in these subjects to fulfill the requirements for the program. It may also be helpful to gain some experience in a medical physics laboratory or conduct research in a related field during your undergraduate studies.

Alternatively, you may want to consider a degree in nuclear and radiological engineering or biomedical engineering, as these fields have more direct connections to medical physics. However, it ultimately depends on your interests and strengths. If you have a passion for mechanical engineering and are willing to put in the extra effort to fulfill the requirements for a MS in medical physics, then I would encourage you to pursue that path.

In terms of your goal of wanting to help people and have a stable career, medical physics is a great field to achieve both. Medical physicists play a crucial role in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer and other diseases, making a significant impact on patients' lives. The demand for medical physicists is also expected to increase in the coming years, providing stable job opportunities.

In summary, with a BS in mechanical engineering, you can definitely pursue a MS in medical physics and have a fulfilling and stable career in this field. I wish you all the best in your academic journey and future career in medical physics!

1. What is Medical Physics?

Medical Physics is a field of science that applies principles of physics, engineering, and mathematics to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases in healthcare. It involves using advanced technology and techniques to improve the accuracy and effectiveness of medical procedures, such as radiation therapy, diagnostic imaging, and nuclear medicine.

2. What does a career in Medical Physics involve?

A career in Medical Physics involves working in a healthcare setting, such as a hospital or cancer center, to provide support and expertise in the use of technology for medical procedures. This can include designing and implementing treatment plans, conducting quality assurance checks, and collaborating with other healthcare professionals to ensure patient safety and optimal outcomes.

3. What qualifications are needed to become a Medical Physicist?

To become a Medical Physicist, you typically need a graduate degree in Medical Physics, Physics, or a related field. Many employers also require certification by the American Board of Radiology or the American Board of Medical Physics. In addition, strong mathematical and problem-solving skills, as well as a background in physics and biology, are essential for success in this field.

4. What are the job prospects for Medical Physicists?

The job prospects for Medical Physicists are excellent, with a projected job growth rate of 14% from 2018 to 2028 according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is due to the increasing demand for advanced medical technology and the aging population, which will require more medical procedures and treatments.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing a career in Medical Physics?

There are many benefits to pursuing a career in Medical Physics, including the opportunity to make a positive impact on patient care, a competitive salary, and a diverse range of job opportunities in various healthcare settings. Additionally, Medical Physicists often have a good work-life balance and the potential for career advancement and specialization in areas such as radiation therapy, diagnostic imaging, or nuclear medicine.