Interested in Experimental Physics, but no background what to do?

In summary, Choppy gave you a lot of good advice. He suggested tailoring your application carefully, mentioning that you didn't use the year off to further your career, and also mentioning that if you improved during the year, you could mention that.
bluechic92
Hey Everyone,
I know that I enjoy physics and I enjoy research. My past research experiences have been in high energy theory and I worked on two different projects, and loved them! These experiences motivated me to pursue graduate studies in physics.

I graduated from undergrad and I am unwillingly taking a year off. I did not do so well on the physicsgre last year and did not have positive results with admissions. I took the physicsgre again, this past September, and I am hoping that my scores are better. Before studying for physics gres/taking them, I sort of gave up on physics for a while. I explored/looked for jobs other areas ( from administrative assistant positions to banking to quality assurance engineer). In the end, I am back to physics. Currently, I am still looking for jobs, but I am also auditing a QFT course at a nearby University. I love QFT!

The thing is, I am not quite sure I am interested in pursuing HEP-TH anymore. I loved doing research in physics and I want to go to graduate school. I just want to expand my research horizon and acquire more skills.

I started working on fellowships and applications, but I am feeling so lost now. I am realizing that although I can always google and further research various topics in experimental work to understand it, I feel lost when I am trying to understand how various instruments are used. The papers are much more difficult to understand in a different way.

I was wondering how general can one be in statements of purpose for research? One Professor told me that it is okay to be general and say that I am interested in exploring Condensed Matter Experiment and learning about topic X or Y, and developing my experimental skills. However, I am afraid that my application (SOP at least) will be weak because of my lack of background :/.

I was not very successful in obtaining internships and research experience for experimental physics, and I am so afraid my grad apps will go the same way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Incoming graduate students are not expected to have relevant experience in the given subfield they want to work in. Generally speaking, the people on admissions committees are well aware that everyone has different opportunities and they will allow you to have explored other areas. What they look for in statements of purpose is that you have reason and purpose behind your choice to apply to their program. They want to see that you have taken advantage of opportunities that you've had and that you've been successful in your pursuits in a manner that suggests you be successful in their program.

One thing that can really help is to visit the schools you're applying to and arrange time to talk with some of the people (proffs, post-docs, grad students) working in the area you're interested in.

Thank you for the reply! I definitely feel a whole lot better now. Some of the schools I am applying to are very far, but I'll definitely try to visit.
Hopefully people are fine with email communications.

Choppy gave you lots of good advice. Here's a bit more- as opposed to undergraduate admissions, applications to graduate programs are approved ((or not) at the program/department level. Again, this is why it's so important to tailor each application carefully.

Thank you for the advice too Andy! I just started working on statements. I forgot how much I endure writer's block :/

Should I mention anything about me taking a year off? I didn't intend to do this so I never had anything planned or lined up. I am just auditing a class and tutoring on the side.

Since you didn't use the time to 'further your career' I would spend no more than a sentence or two on it; basically just to point out you weren't in jail, deployed overseas, etc. If you spent the year studying/improving (evidenced by the increased GRE score), say that and move on.

Thank you again so much! I guess I'll just have to figure out when to weave that in.

1. What is experimental physics?

Experimental physics is a branch of physics that focuses on conducting experiments and collecting data to understand and explain the physical world. It involves using various instruments and techniques to observe and measure natural phenomena and test theories and hypotheses.

2. Do I need a background in physics to pursue experimental physics?

While a background in physics can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to pursue experimental physics. However, a strong foundation in mathematics and a basic understanding of scientific principles are important for success in this field.

3. How can I get started in experimental physics with no background?

If you are interested in experimental physics but have no background, a good place to start is by taking introductory physics courses and learning the fundamental principles. You can also read books and articles on experimental physics and try to gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities.

4. What skills are important for experimental physics?

Some important skills for experimental physics include critical thinking, problem solving, data analysis, and technical skills such as using laboratory equipment and programming. It is also important to have good communication and teamwork skills as experimental physics often involves collaborating with others.

5. Are there any specific areas of experimental physics that I can focus on?

Experimental physics covers a wide range of topics and there are many areas of specialization to choose from. Some common areas include particle physics, astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and condensed matter physics. It is important to explore different areas and find one that aligns with your interests and strengths.