Interesting Linear Algebra Problem

In summary, the given vectors x, y, and z form a three-dimensional region in space known as a parallelepiped. This is because they are linearly independent and the set V, which is defined as all possible combinations of the three vectors, fills this region.
Newtime

Homework Statement

Let x=(1,0,0) y=(2,1,0) and z=(2,2,1) be column vectors in R3. Consider the set V={tx+sy+uz 0[tex]\leq[/tex]t,s,u[tex]\leq[/tex]1}. What does this look like specifically?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

No work here, just a thinking problem, but I thought that the set V would fill the solid (a paralellapipid?) formed by the three vectors x,y, and z. Is this correct? Other than visualization, I suppose a reason for this would be that it is analagous to a similar problem in R2 in which the set vills the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the given vectors were linearly independent, set V would be a three-D region in space, but if they are linearly dependent V will be only a one- or two-dimensional subset of R3.

Mark44 said:
If the given vectors were linearly independent, set V would be a three-D region in space, but if they are linearly dependent V will be only a one- or two-dimensional subset of R3.

They are linearly independent. And I know they fill some space in R3 but the question was which space...as into describe it. So my best explanation is the vectors fill the paralellepiped formed by the three vectors. Isn't this correct?

Newtime said:
They are linearly independent. And I know they fill some space in R3 but the question was which space...as into describe it. So my best explanation is the vectors fill the paralellepiped formed by the three vectors. Isn't this correct?

Yes, you are visualizing it correctly.

Dick said:
Yes, you are visualizing it correctly.

Thanks, I figured I was but wanted to check with all the gurus here.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vector spaces, and matrices. It is used to solve systems of equations and to study the properties of geometric objects in multiple dimensions.

What makes a linear algebra problem interesting?

A linear algebra problem can be considered interesting if it presents a unique challenge, requires creative thinking, or has real-world applications. It can also be interesting if it involves complex or abstract concepts that require a deep understanding of linear algebra principles.

What are some common applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. Some common applications include image and signal processing, data analysis, optimization problems, and machine learning.

Why is linear algebra important in scientific research?

Linear algebra is an essential tool for scientists because it provides a powerful framework for solving complex problems and analyzing data. It helps in understanding the underlying structures and patterns in data, making predictions, and developing models that can be used to make accurate and reliable conclusions.

What are some strategies for solving interesting linear algebra problems?

Some strategies for solving interesting linear algebra problems include understanding the problem thoroughly, breaking it down into smaller parts, using visualization techniques, applying known theorems and principles, and using computational tools such as software or calculators. It is also helpful to collaborate with others and explore different approaches to the problem.