1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting Linear Algebra Problem

1. Aug 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let x=(1,0,0) y=(2,1,0) and z=(2,2,1) be column vectors in R3. Consider the set V={tx+sy+uz 0[tex]\leq[/tex]t,s,u[tex]\leq[/tex]1}. What does this look like specifically?

2. Relevant equations

n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

No work here, just a thinking problem, but I thought that the set V would fill the solid (a paralellapipid?) formed by the three vectors x,y, and z. Is this correct? Other than visualization, I suppose a reason for this would be that it is analagous to a similar problem in R2 in which the set vills the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If the given vectors were linearly independent, set V would be a three-D region in space, but if they are linearly dependent V will be only a one- or two-dimensional subset of R3.

4. Aug 31, 2009 #3
    They are linearly independent. And I know they fill some space in R3 but the question was which space...as in to describe it. So my best explanation is the vectors fill the paralellepiped formed by the three vectors. Isn't this correct?

5. Aug 31, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you are visualizing it correctly.

6. Aug 31, 2009 #5
    Thanks, I figured I was but wanted to check with all the gurus here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook