Interference from Van De Graff

In summary, the researcher is trying to figure out why their controller stops working after a few seconds when the generator is turned on. They believe it may be related to an EMF field produced by the generator. They suggest shielding or removing sharp points or edges from the equipment, and also recommend avoiding wood with high voltage.
MattZapp
Hello all I really hope someone can shed some light on a problem I'm having.

I'm currently researching granular fluid behavior in High voltage electric fields.

My setup is essentially a 200kV generator placed directly under a glass container with my test medium inside of it.

The experiments are conducted with an aluminum rod (attached to the grounding port of the generator) inside of the container interacting with the charged bed of particles above the generator.

In order to control the movement of the aluminum rod in the vertical direction I use a stepper motor setup with a Velmex nf90 controller attached to my computer via serial port.
The rod is attached to the stepper with a metal and Plexiglas bracket, which at the end is purely Plexiglas; because of this I believe there is not conductivity or transfer of charge from the rod to the motor).

Before anyone mentions it, YES, I realize the velmex is rather outdated, and clearly no longer supported, but as those of you with limited funding in your research know, if there's something lying around the lab not being used, you jump at the opportunity!

I have attached a picture of my setup.

The issue that I have been running into with my tests I believe to be related to an EMF field produced by the generator. When the generator is powered on and fully charged (running at full speed). I am able to control the movement and speed of my stepper motor via my programming, computer controller software (through the Velmex) and manually via a remote. The control though only seems to last for a few seconds (I would guess about 5-8s) until the controller cuts out, locks up, and I no longer have control over the motor.

Now, the motor is brushless (and therefore susceptible to electronic interference I think?) and when the controller shorts out I hear a steady clicking of some kind coming from the motor and controller. The fuse itself never seems to blow, and if I turn everything off and on again it again works for a short period of time.

I can't completely contain the setup because I need to be able to use high speed video capture, but I do need the slider and stepper to be able to function continuously.

Does anyone know how to cut down or eliminate this interference?

Maybe shielding of some kind?

I’d really appreciate any help I can get on this. My training and education is mostly mechanical with a small amount of electrical work, but this falls a bit out of my realm of expertise….

The controller
http://www.velmex.com/downloads_old_controllers.html

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 417
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The ticking you are hearing is probably arcing.
Turn all the lights off and look at everything in the dark. Don't rush, it takes several minutes for your eyes to adjust to the dark. Look at everything, arcing can occur in the oddest places.
The cure for the ticking is to remove any sharp points or edges. Or small wires.
Aluminum foil is great for making shields.
Personally I don't like wood with high voltage.
All metal should be either grounded or connected to the high voltage.
Good Luck

1. What is interference from Van De Graff?

Interference from Van De Graff is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more Van De Graff generators are operating in close proximity. This can cause disruptions in the electric field and result in unexpected behaviors of the generators.

2. How does interference from Van De Graff affect experiments?

Interference from Van De Graff can affect experiments by causing fluctuations in the electric field, which can impact the accuracy and reliability of the experimental results. It can also cause disruptions in the equipment used for the experiments.

3. What causes interference from Van De Graff?

Interference from Van De Graff is caused by the electric fields produced by the generators interacting with each other. This can happen when the generators are placed too close together or when they are not properly grounded.

4. How can interference from Van De Graff be minimized?

To minimize interference from Van De Graff, it is important to properly ground the generators and ensure that they are placed at a sufficient distance from each other. Shielding the generators with grounded metal can also help reduce interference.

5. Can interference from Van De Graff be dangerous?

In most cases, interference from Van De Graff is not dangerous. However, it can cause disruptions in experiments and equipment, which can lead to safety hazards. It is important to properly manage and minimize interference to ensure the safety of individuals conducting experiments.