How High is the Cliff if Radio Waves Interfere at 25 Degrees?

In summary, the problem involves a radio telescope receiving radio waves of wavelength 263 meters from a star by two separate paths, one direct and one reflected off the water. The first minimum of destructive interference occurs when the star is 23 degrees above the horizon. By drawing a diagram and using trigonometry, the height of the cliff was found to be 468.54 meters and the height of the radio telescope was found to be 175.5 meters.
a.a

Homework Statement

Radio waves of wavelength 250 meters from a star reach a radio telescope by two separate paths. One is a direct path to the receiver which is situated on the edge of a cliff by the ocean. The second is by reflection off the water. The first minimum of destructive interference occurs when the star is 25 degrees above the horizon. Find the height of the cliff.

We know the path difference is 125 meters since first minimum occurs at 25 degrees, so the difference is half a wavelength.

I just found phase difference (=half wavelength) and found path difference (from: phase difference = 2pi*phase difference/wavelength)
Then I used height = phase difference*sin theta
but that didnt work
any advice

Physics news on Phys.org

Draw yourself a diagram showing the two rays (one direct; one reflected) and use it to find the difference in path length between them.

I did.. I got 5504.29 as my path diff,
PD= (lambda)^2/4pi

thats from phase difference = half lambda = 2pi PD/lambda
Where am i going wrong?
After I found PD.. from my diagram i found that H= PD sin 22/sin46

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 478

a.a said:
I did.. I got 5504.29 as my path diff,
PD= (lambda)^2/4pi

thats from phase difference = half lambda = 2pi PD/lambda
Where am i going wrong?
I don't quite understand what you're doing here. As you said in your first post, the path difference must be λ/2.
After I found PD.. from my diagram i found that H= PD sin 22/sin46
Some problems with your diagram:
(1) The light rays from the star are parallel.
(2) What you've labeled as PD Δx is not the path difference.
(3) Your diagram shows the angle as 22 degrees, not 25.

Sorry, my numbers are different, the angle from horizontal is 22 and my wavelength is 263 m.. so the question would read:
Radio waves of wavelength 263 meters from a star reach a radio telescope by two separate paths. One is a direct path to the receiver which is situated on the edge of a cliff by the ocean. The second is by reflection off the water. The first minimum of destructive interference occurs when the star is 23 degrees above the horizon. Find the height of the cliff.

Okay.. does this diagram look better?
Phase difference is half lambda.. path difference is something else, isn't it?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 434

phase difference=(2pi* path difference)/labmda

a.a said:
Sorry, my numbers are different, the angle from horizontal is 22 and my wavelength is 263 m.. so the question would read:
Radio waves of wavelength 263 meters from a star reach a radio telescope by two separate paths. One is a direct path to the receiver which is situated on the edge of a cliff by the ocean. The second is by reflection off the water. The first minimum of destructive interference occurs when the star is 23 degrees above the horizon. Find the height of the cliff.
OK.

Okay.. does this diagram look better?
Not really. I want to see two parallel rays coming from that star. (The star is very far away.) Those rays make an angle of 22 degrees with the horizontal.
Phase difference is half lambda.. path difference is something else, isn't it?
Imagine that the two rays start out with the same phase as they leave the star. The difference in their path lengths must equal λ/2.

is this better?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 488

where would i go from here?

a.a said:
is this better?
Much better! But what you've labeled as λ/2 is not right. You need to compare that distance with the distance that the other ray travels (the hypotenuse of the triangle). The difference will be the path difference.

So, in this diagram half lamda = H-X

so how do we go about finding H or X?
nothing is given...:S
Probably a lot of trigs, do the angles in my second diagram make sence?
If so then I get:
sin 22= hyp (h)/(half lambda +X)
and I don't really know where to go from there..

a.a said:
So, in this diagram half lamda = H-X
OK.
so how do we go about finding H or X?
nothing is given...:S
H and X are part of a right triangle, so they are related. (Find the angle of that triangle.)

related by pythagorean? How does that help us?

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 498

a.a said:
related by pythagorean? How does that help us?
Even easier is to use some trig to relate H and X. Add to that the equation H - X = λ/2. Then you can solve for H. Once you have that, use some more trig to find the height of the cliff.

sorry about the late reply,
I only got as far as :
sin 46 = X/H = (H-half lambda)/H
Solved for H and got 468.54
Then: sin 22 = h/H
and got h= 175.5
Is that right?

nope...I got it wrong...?

a.a said:
sorry about the late reply,
I only got as far as :
sin 46 = X/H = (H-half lambda)/H
Solved for H and got 468.54
Then: sin 22 = h/H
and got h= 175.5
Is that right?
Looks right to me.

Related to How High is the Cliff if Radio Waves Interfere at 25 Degrees?

1. What is interference of radio waves?

Interference of radio waves is the phenomenon in which two or more radio waves overlap and interact with each other, causing distortion or disruption in the original signal. This can happen when multiple radio transmitters are operating in the same frequency range or when objects in the environment reflect or block the signal.

2. How does interference affect radio communication?

Interference can cause distortion, static, or complete disruption of radio communication signals, making it difficult for the receiver to interpret the intended message. In severe cases, it can completely block the signal and prevent any communication from taking place.

3. What types of interference can occur with radio waves?

There are several types of interference that can occur with radio waves, including co-channel interference (when two signals on the same frequency interfere with each other), adjacent-channel interference (when signals on adjacent frequencies overlap), and multipath interference (when signals bounce off objects and arrive at the receiver at different times).

4. How can interference of radio waves be minimized or prevented?

Interference can be minimized by using proper antenna placement, choosing frequencies that are not heavily used in the area, and using advanced transmission techniques like spread spectrum modulation. Additionally, regulations and standards set by government agencies can help prevent interference by allocating specific frequencies for specific purposes.

5. Can interference of radio waves be harmful to human health?

There is currently no scientific evidence that suggests that interference of radio waves is harmful to human health. However, excessive exposure to radio waves from sources such as cell phones and Wi-Fi routers has been a topic of debate and ongoing research. Government agencies have set safety standards to regulate the use of radio waves and ensure they do not pose a threat to human health.