1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference Patten in standing waves

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    Please Help! Whenever i read standing waves, the interference patten can be seen as attached pictures. I want to know how this pictures can be taken?
    How lights can be interfered?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those look to me to be simply a string that is driven by a motor at one end and attached to a fix point at the other.

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3
    To answer your first question about how to take the pictures of an interference pattern, take your camera and if it's set from a low to moderate shutter speed it'll work.

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4
    This appears to me to be the result of the strobing of the led flash on rope/string and not interference patterns. Try using external light source w/minimal flicker, e.g. a halogen spot, and leave the shutter open longer. That should allow the light to smear all under the curve of the wave (assuming you are demonstrating the using the aforementioned setup as it appears.) Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook