1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interior of the boundary

1. Jul 30, 2010 #1

c16

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to prove that the int(U union Bdy(U))=Int(U) when U is open.

2. Relevant equations
    Bdy(U)=closure(U) intersect closure(X-U)
    a point is in the interior if there is an open neighborhood of the point that is contained in the set.

3. The attempt at a solution
    obviously, if x is in U and U is open, there is a neighborhood of x in U by the fact that U is open. If x is in Bdy(U), then I want to prove that every open neighborhood of x is not in S=U union Bdy(U). Now, by the definition of boundary, every open neighborhood of x intersects X-U, so obviously there are points outside of U. What I need to prove is that there is a point y in every open neighborhood of x that is not in U AND is not in the closure of U, meaning that it is not in the boundary.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take U to be the union of the open intervals (0,1) and (1,2). What you are trying to prove is false.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook