Intermediate E&M. Just need a check. Should be easy

• Thread starter maherelharake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E&m
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the total charge inside a rectangular box with diagonal corners at (0,0,0) and (-1,2,3)cm. The charge distribution inside the box is given as ρ(r)=2x-3(z-1) with units of nC/m3. Two different methods of solving the problem are mentioned, one involving converting the bounds from m to cm and the other keeping them in terms of m. Both methods have their own potential for error, but the latter is deemed to have less chance for error. The final solution is not provided, but it is confirmed that the integration is correct.
maherelharake

Homework Statement

We have a rectangular box with diagonal corners at (0,0,0) and (-1,2,3)cm. We place charge inside this box with distribution, ρ(r)=2x-3(z-1) with units of nC/m3. What is the total charge inside this box?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached what I did. I asked this yesterday, and someone told me my answer was correct (at the time I had 3E-15 C). However, I think I did something wrong, and redid my problem. Please let me know which way is correct, if either.

Attachments

• Triple.jpg
    Triple.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
Your x-bounds are strange. Why did you reverse them?

The teacher told me to do this. I was confused on it as well, but he assured me it is supposed to be in that order.

I am going to sleep soon. If you can please help me (it's due tomorrow morning) I will look at your response when I wake up.

Oh nvm, the integration is right now that I take a second look at it. I got confused by the x going on bottom, but since it is negative that is all good. It looks like what you did is just fine. I don't know what the other way you did was, but this should be right (though I didn't actually do the numbers).

The other way was that I kept the bounds in terms of m and converted to cm at the end. However I think my numbers got messed up in the conversion. I think this way has less chance for error.

Yeah, hah, that's precisely why I didn't do the numbers was because you really ought to convert cm to m for the integrand limits to make sure you get it right. Not converting and having cm*m floating around can get tricky.

1. What is Intermediate E&M?

Intermediate E&M, or Intermediate Electromagnetism, is a branch of physics that studies the interaction between electric and magnetic fields. It is an advanced level course that builds upon the principles of introductory electromagnetism.

2. What topics are typically covered in Intermediate E&M?

Some common topics covered in Intermediate E&M include Maxwell's equations, electromagnetic waves, electric and magnetic fields in matter, and electromagnetic radiation. Other topics may vary depending on the curriculum of the specific course.

3. What are the prerequisites for Intermediate E&M?

The prerequisites for Intermediate E&M typically include a strong foundation in calculus, algebra, and introductory physics courses such as mechanics and electromagnetism. It is also recommended to have taken a course in differential equations.

4. What are some applications of Intermediate E&M?

Intermediate E&M has many practical applications in various fields including telecommunications, electrical engineering, and astrophysics. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as the fundamental workings of electronic devices.

5. What skills are important for success in Intermediate E&M?

Some important skills for success in Intermediate E&M include a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of fundamental concepts from introductory electromagnetism, as well as the ability to think critically and apply theoretical knowledge to real-world scenarios.