1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Intermediate E&M. Just need a check. Should be easy

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have a rectangular box with diagonal corners at (0,0,0) and (-1,2,3)cm. We place charge inside this box with distribution, ρ(r)=2x-3(z-1) with units of nC/m3. What is the total charge inside this box?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attached what I did. I asked this yesterday, and someone told me my answer was correct (at the time I had 3E-15 C). However, I think I did something wrong, and redid my problem. Please let me know which way is correct, if either.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2
    Your x-bounds are strange. Why did you reverse them?

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    The teacher told me to do this. I was confused on it as well, but he assured me it is supposed to be in that order.

5. Sep 8, 2010 #4
    I am going to sleep soon. If you can please help me (it's due tomorrow morning) I will look at your response when I wake up.

6. Sep 8, 2010 #5
    Oh nvm, the integration is right now that I take a second look at it. I got confused by the x going on bottom, but since it is negative that is all good. It looks like what you did is just fine. I don't know what the other way you did was, but this should be right (though I didn't actually do the numbers).

7. Sep 8, 2010 #6
    The other way was that I kept the bounds in terms of m and converted to cm at the end. However I think my numbers got messed up in the conversion. I think this way has less chance for error.

8. Sep 8, 2010 #7
    Yeah, hah, that's precisely why I didn't do the numbers was because you really ought to convert cm to m for the integrand limits to make sure you get it right. Not converting and having cm*m floating around can get tricky.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook