Can BSP Trees Be Used for Internal Collision Detection?

In summary, the problem is not finding a collision detection algorithm, but finding a collision detection setup which is efficient for the problem at hand.
ThreeMarks
Hi,

I've got a problem with collision detection of which I am struggling to find a solution.

In the simplest case, I would have a sphere whose movement would be constrained inside a closed arbitrarily-shaped object.

I have been looking into BSP trees which split the shape into chunks for fast detection. However, I get the impression that this would only work for sphere outside of the object.

Is it possible that I can un fact still use a bsp setup. Or does anybody know of a way that I can do _internal_ collision detection.

Thanks,

ThreeMarks

Technology news on Phys.org
The question is very general as it does not specify which is the exact problem to be solved, so it gives no clue as to what is the most efficient way to be followed.

Generally speaking, collision detection is basically a procedure in which we examine if two objects collide - effectively if two geometrical shapes intersect. It is fundamental to Virtual Reality (VR) applications including animations, games and robotics among others. It is part of a collision handling plan along with collision determination (i.e. where exactly is the intersection) and collision response (i.e. how do we handle the situation). We can perform collision detection using rays, BSP trees or using Hierarchical Collision Detection.

For BSP trees in particular, they are spatial data structures for which efficient algorithms performing set operations (union, intersection , (symmetric) difference etc.). exist. BSP trees - and, of course, search trees in general, have been extensively analyzed under worst-case and average-case models and they offer an efficient way to handle a lot of problems in a realistic way. The common approach is attributing equal likelihood to each possible query. Unlike this, an approach which assumes events that happened in the past are more likely to happen in the future and uses Self-Customized BSP trees, is presented in this paper from Princeton.

1. What is internal collision detection?

Internal collision detection is a method used in computer graphics and video game development to detect when two or more objects within a virtual environment intersect or overlap. This is important for creating realistic and visually appealing simulations.

2. How does internal collision detection work?

Internal collision detection works by continuously checking the positions and sizes of objects within a virtual environment. If the coordinates of two objects overlap, a collision is detected and appropriate actions can be taken, such as preventing the objects from passing through each other or triggering an event.

3. What are the benefits of using internal collision detection?

Using internal collision detection allows for more realistic and immersive virtual environments. It also enables developers to create more complex and dynamic interactions between objects, leading to more engaging gameplay or simulations.

4. Are there any limitations to internal collision detection?

While internal collision detection is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. In some cases, objects may pass through each other due to limitations in the precision of calculations or the speed at which they are being performed. This can be mitigated through techniques such as broad-phase collision detection and continuous collision detection.

5. How is internal collision detection used in real-world applications?

Internal collision detection is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including video game development, computer-aided design, virtual and augmented reality, and physics simulations. It is also used in robotics and autonomous vehicles to prevent collisions in the physical world.