Internal energy of a substance.

In summary, the internal energy of an ideal gas is only dependent on the temperature during an isothermal process, resulting in a change of internal energy equal to zero. However, in real gases, there is a slight dependence on volume, which is related to the Joule-Thomson effect. Therefore, the statement is not entirely true for real gases.
shenjie
Hi all, I was taught that internal energy of an ideal gas in depending on the temperature which mean during isothermal process, the change in internal energy is equal to zero. Is this statement true?

How about the change in the internal energy of a substance when it is condensed from saturated vapour to saturated liquid isothermally?

Sincerely thanks to those who help me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
shenjie said:
Hi all, I was taught that internal energy of an ideal gas in depending on the temperature which mean during isothermal process, the change in internal energy is equal to zero. Is this statement true?
Yes.
How about the change in the internal energy of a substance when it is condensed from saturated vapour to saturated liquid isothermally?

No. During the condensation, it is not an ideal gas. It's part vapor and part liquid.

Likes 1 person
shenjie said:

That's true for an ideal gas, but in real gases there's a slight dependence of internal energy on volume, i.e. the partial derivative ##\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_{T,n}## is not exactly zero. This is related to the Joule-Thomson effect.

Likes 1 person
yeah, for a 'true' ideal gas, the internal energy only depends on the temperature (assuming the number of molecules is constant). I think some people call this 'true' ideal gas a 'perfect' gas.

I can confirm that the internal energy of a substance is indeed dependent on its temperature. This is because the internal energy is a measure of the microscopic energy of the particles within the substance, and temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of those particles. Therefore, as the temperature of a substance changes, so does its internal energy.

Regarding the statement about an ideal gas and an isothermal process, it is partially true. In an ideal gas, the internal energy is solely dependent on the temperature and does not change during an isothermal process. However, this is only true for an ideal gas, which follows specific assumptions such as no intermolecular forces and negligible volume of the particles. In real gases, there may be a slight change in internal energy during an isothermal process due to deviations from these ideal conditions.

As for the change in internal energy during the condensation of a substance from saturated vapor to saturated liquid, it would depend on the specific substance and its properties. In an ideal scenario, the internal energy would remain constant as the temperature remains constant. However, in real substances, there may be a slight change in internal energy due to the release of latent heat during the phase change.

In conclusion, the statement about the internal energy of a substance being dependent on temperature is generally true, but there are certain factors that may affect this relationship, such as the properties of the substance and the ideal gas assumptions. It is important to consider these factors when studying the internal energy of a substance.

1. What is internal energy?

The internal energy of a substance is the sum of all the kinetic and potential energies of its molecules. It includes the energy from the motion of molecules (kinetic energy), the energy stored in the chemical bonds (potential energy), and any other forms of energy, such as nuclear energy.

2. How is internal energy related to temperature?

The internal energy of a substance is directly proportional to its temperature. As the temperature of a substance increases, so does the average kinetic energy of its molecules, resulting in an increase in internal energy.

3. Does internal energy depend on the state of the substance?

Yes, the internal energy of a substance depends on its state, such as solid, liquid, or gas. This is because the arrangement and movement of molecules differ in each state, resulting in different amounts of internal energy.

4. How is internal energy measured?

Internal energy is measured in joules (J) or calories (cal). It can be measured indirectly by calculating the change in internal energy using the formula ΔU = Q - W, where Q is the heat added to the system and W is the work done by the system.

5. Can internal energy be changed?

Yes, internal energy can be changed by adding or removing heat or doing work on the system. This can result in a change in temperature, phase change, or chemical reaction, all of which affect the internal energy of a substance.