Internal energy of a substance.

• Thread starter shenjie
  • Start date
Hi all, I was taught that internal energy of an ideal gas in depending on the temperature which mean during isothermal process, the change in internal energy is equal to zero. Is this statement true?

How about the change in the internal energy of a substance when it is condensed from saturated vapour to saturated liquid isothermally?

Sincerely thanks to those who help me :)

Answers and Replies

Hi all, I was taught that internal energy of an ideal gas in depending on the temperature which mean during isothermal process, the change in internal energy is equal to zero. Is this statement true?
Yes.
How about the change in the internal energy of a substance when it is condensed from saturated vapour to saturated liquid isothermally?
No. During the condensation, it is not an ideal gas. It's part vapor and part liquid.

Likes 1 person
hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
That's true for an ideal gas, but in real gases there's a slight dependence of internal energy on volume, i.e. the partial derivative ##\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_{T,n}## is not exactly zero. This is related to the Joule-Thomson effect.

Likes 1 person
BruceW
Homework Helper
yeah, for a 'true' ideal gas, the internal energy only depends on the temperature (assuming the number of molecules is constant). I think some people call this 'true' ideal gas a 'perfect' gas.