Internet Problem - Troubleshooting DNS Error

• Thread starter sean1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, it sounds like you may have a problem with your DSL connection. You should check the settings on your modem, and if that doesn't fix the problem, you may need to replace your cables or phone jack.
sean1234
I recently set up a new DSL connection to this computer and am having a problem with the connection. I called the tech support at the company and they said the connection is fine and the appropirate lights on the DSL modem are all on. Yet when I move from page to page I frequently get the IE error page "Cannot find server or DNS Error" I reload the page and it opens properly. This is also present using Mozilla.

Computer science news on Phys.org
sean1234 said:
I recently set up a new DSL connection to this computer and am having a problem with the connection. I called the tech support at the company and they said the connection is fine and the appropirate lights on the DSL modem are all on. Yet when I move from page to page I frequently get the IE error page "Cannot find server or DNS Error" I reload the page and it opens properly. This is also present using Mozilla.

It could be a number of things. But if i were to bet i would say check the settings on your DSL modem since both IE and mozzila don't work. Did you have dial up before DSL?? and did both IE and mozzila work??

what happens if you ping google.com for example, do you loose packets?

Do this from cmd prompt: (assuming you are using windows)

ping google.com -tLet it run for a bit.. and see if you have a high % of request time outs.

We previously had dial up; but I am using a different computer with the DSL, if that even matters.

I pinged google and received large blocks of replies with maybe 3 or 4 time outs in between.

how large is large? :smile:

11 X reply
1 X time out
19 X reply
1 X time out
17 X reply
2 X time out

I ran another one
4 X reply
4 X time out
~15 X reply
etc...

Not the best, but I don't think that will be the problem then.

Like i said i would easily check the settings on your modem.

I am guessing you are on the edge of the range where DSL works. With DSL, my understanding is quality is affected by the range you are from the server. You may also want to try replacing cables (phone line, CAT 5 cable) or even try a different phone socket -- because there could be some problems there.

The cables are new, but I guess I could go replace them. The modem they gave me doesn't have any settings other than on and off. I don't see why it would be anything on my computer since I have used DSL successfully on it at another location. But what on my computer should look at anyway?

Even new cables can suck! Again, try a different phone jack too.

I also would like to know what virus protection/firewall software you are using.

I think if you arent loosing too many packets, we can assume physical cabling is fine. I would suggest the problem is probably somewhere else.

What happens when you do this from cmd:

nslookup
>google.com

Can you copy and paste what happens when you do that

It says

server:unknown
Address: 198.XXX.X.X

Non-authoritative answer
name:google.com
addresses: (it lists three)

I can't copy it

but above it also said
can't find server name for address 198.XXX.X.X: non-existent domain
default servers not available
default server: unknown

seems like you may have a dns problem, contact your ISP and ask the what your DNS server should be, and ask them to help you configure it.

It sounds like your 'DNS server' parameter is not being set property. The default server should be set automatically.

If you enter (windows command prompt) 'ipconfig /all', you should see a setting there 'DNS servers', they should be set to something or other. Can you tell us what they are set to?

I doubt it's an IP problem because of the fact that he can open pages sometimes. Step one would be to make sure you have reset all your browser settings to default and ensure they obtain dns and ip automatically. If you could post what ipconfig says for dns that would be nice. Also default gateway.

I doubt it's an IP problem because of the fact that he can open pages sometimes.

Dns isn't IP, its how you resolve a Name (FQDN, fully qualified domain name) to an IP address. If you are having to recuse to obtain an IP address, you can have a time out, which would resolve the next time you try and get the FQDN.

I wasn't saying DNS was IP. Just noting that it's not an IP problem.

AT&T came out and discovered it was a problem with their hardware away from my house. Don't know exactly what they did to fix it.

1. What is a DNS error and how does it affect my internet connection?

A DNS error, or Domain Name System error, occurs when your computer is unable to connect to a website due to an issue with its DNS server. DNS is responsible for translating domain names (e.g. www.example.com) into IP addresses that your computer can understand. If there is an error with the DNS server, your computer will be unable to access the website.

2. How can I troubleshoot a DNS error?

The first step in troubleshooting a DNS error is to check your internet connection. If your connection is working, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If the issue persists, you can try changing your DNS server to a public one like Google or OpenDNS. You can also try restarting your router or contacting your internet service provider for assistance.

3. Why do DNS errors occur?

DNS errors can occur due to a variety of reasons, including network connectivity issues, misconfigured settings, or problems with the DNS server itself. They can also occur if there is a problem with the website's DNS records.

4. How can I prevent DNS errors?

To prevent DNS errors, make sure your network connection is stable and check for any misconfigured settings. It's also a good idea to periodically clear your browser's cache and cookies. If you frequently experience DNS errors, you may want to consider using a more reliable DNS server or contacting your internet service provider.

5. Can a DNS error be a security threat?

In some cases, a DNS error can be a sign of a security threat, such as a DNS hijacking or spoofing attack. These attacks can redirect you to fake websites or steal your personal information. If you suspect a security threat, it's important to run a virus scan and contact your internet service provider immediately.