Internship: Focus on Electrical or Systems Engineerin?

In summary, the individual is a junior EE major seeking advice on whether to focus solely on electrical/computer engineering internships or also consider systems engineering internships. They plan on working as an engineer for a few years before getting an MBA. They also provide a brief description of a Systems Engineering Intern position, stating the desired skills and knowledge. The suggestion is to obtain an internship that will provide valuable experience and align with their career goals.
user101
Internship: Focus on Electrical or Systems Engineerin?

Hi, I'm a junior EE major. I've had an internship last summer as a manufacturing engineering intern and I'll have one more summer left (between my Jr and Sr year) until I graduate. When finding internships for this summer, should I solely focus on electrical/computer engineering internships, or is it ok if I apply to systems engineering internships?

I don't know if this helps, but I do plan on working as an engineer for a few years then going to get my MBA.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

What exactly do you mean by systems engineering?

This is a brief description taken off of a employer's website for a Systems Engineering Intern:

The successful candidate will: - Eligible for a Top Secret/SCI clearance. - Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of tools and Windows XP. - Be able to demonstrate the ability to: -- Participate in identifying technical issues. -- Become familiar with impacts within and external to the enterprise. -- Assist in identifying risks and develop risk mitigation plans. -- Assist in preparing requirements analysis reports. -- Assist in conducting trade studies. -- Help author request for change (RFC's) documents. -- Assist in evaluating alternatives. Desired Skills/Knowledge: -- Understanding of Business Process Re-Engineering -- Familiarity with Information Technology to include: --- Hardware --- Software --- WAN/LAN --- Crypto --- Voice/Video --- Transport Media --- OSI Model -- Understanding or ability to learn the Configuration Management boards process. -- Understanding or ability to learn enterprise level capabilities and segment level requirements hierachy. -- Understanding or willingness to learn documentation custodianship. -- Desire to earn PMI certification in Program or Project Management or INCOSE certification in Systems Engineering.

Well I would say the best course of action is to obtain an internship that you have the best chance of performing well in and gain valuable insight into that type of work. You may have to sit and ask yourself what kind of engineer do you wish to be after school?

What is an internship in electrical or systems engineering?

An internship in electrical or systems engineering is a work experience program that allows students or recent graduates to gain practical knowledge and skills in the field of electrical or systems engineering. It typically involves working on projects or tasks under the guidance of experienced engineers in a professional setting.

How do I apply for an internship in electrical or systems engineering?

The application process for an internship in electrical or systems engineering may vary depending on the company or organization. Generally, you can apply through their website, career fairs, or through your university's career center. Make sure to carefully follow the instructions and provide all the necessary documents and information.

What are the benefits of doing an internship in electrical or systems engineering?

Internships in electrical or systems engineering offer numerous benefits, such as gaining hands-on experience, developing technical skills, building a professional network, and enhancing your resume. It also allows you to apply your theoretical knowledge in a real-world setting and discover which specific area of electrical or systems engineering you are most interested in.

What can I expect during an internship in electrical or systems engineering?

During an internship in electrical or systems engineering, you can expect to work on various projects or tasks depending on the company's needs and your skills. You will also have the opportunity to shadow and learn from experienced engineers, attend meetings and training sessions, and participate in team projects. You may also be assigned a mentor who will guide and support you throughout your internship.

What are the requirements for an internship in electrical or systems engineering?

The requirements for an internship in electrical or systems engineering may vary depending on the company or organization. However, most internships will require you to have a background in electrical or systems engineering, strong technical skills, and excellent communication and problem-solving abilities. Some companies may also have specific GPA requirements or prefer candidates with previous internship or project experience.