Interpolation Method: Solving Missing Data

In summary, the conversation is about interpolating missing elements in a text file using a method that takes into account not only the values before and after the missing element, but also the previous and next day temperatures. The suggested method is trigonometric interpolation with a periodicity of 24 hours. However, the problem at hand involves random values and may require multiple functions for accurate interpolation. The question of whether it is acceptable to use a polynomial interpolation to obtain an f(x0) and then use additional calculations to find the final interpolated value is also raised.
danutz
hi i need some help with a problem I'm dealing with
i have a text file of this format
01 08 2002 12 45 26.7
01 08 2002 13 00 27.8
01 08 2002 13 15 27.0
01 08 2002 13 30 28.2
the last being the temperature and i need to interpolate some missing elements using not only the values before and after that elem but also the previous and next day temperatures (meaning if i wanted to interpolate the second row i would need to use the 1st the third and the values at 13:00 in the previous and next day for example) i would really appreciate if someone could tell me which method to use
ps:i used a polynomial interpolation so far

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi danutz! :smile:

Because the solution must be periodic, I guess that trigonometric interpolation could give you something good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_interpolation

But note, if you use the sine functions, then you will be periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. If you want to be periodic with period T (for example, 24h), then you will have to use

[tex]f(x)=\sin(\frac{2\pi}{T}x)[/tex]

instead of the sine.

thanks i looked through it but my function won't be a periodic function but one that has somehow random values so it cannot be defined like f(x)=...
i need a method that doesn't interpolate only by the interp polynomial but also by some other values(the temperatures in other days at the same hour) i think it's more like having more than one function and for interpolating f(x0) i need g(x0) and h(x0) and f(points i use to make the polynomial interpolation, x1 x2 ...)

or is it ok to make the polyn interpolation, obtain an f(x0) and just to make some calculus like 3/4f(x0)+ (h(x0)+g(x0))/2/4??

Last edited:

1. What is interpolation method?

The interpolation method is a mathematical technique used to estimate values within a data set based on known data points. It is commonly used to fill in missing or incomplete data.

2. How does interpolation method work?

Interpolation method works by creating a mathematical function based on the known data points, and then using this function to estimate the missing values. The function is usually a polynomial, but can also be a spline or a trigonometric function.

3. What are the different types of interpolation method?

The most commonly used types of interpolation method are linear, quadratic, and cubic. Other types include spline interpolation, polynomial interpolation, and trigonometric interpolation.

4. What are the advantages of using interpolation method?

Interpolation method allows for the estimation of missing data points, which can be useful in situations where complete data is not available. It also helps to smooth out any noise or irregularities in the data set, making it easier to analyze and interpret.

5. What are the limitations of interpolation method?

Interpolation method assumes that the data follows a certain pattern, and may not work well if the data is highly irregular or does not fit a specific mathematical function. It can also introduce errors if the data points are too far apart or if there are too many missing values.