Interpolation methods for two points and three derivates?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the minimum distance between two particles given their initial and final positions, velocities, accelerations, and jerks. The method of Piecewise Cubic Hermite Interpolation, which uses only positions and velocities, is not the most accurate and the speaker is looking for a better interpolation method that can take into account the higher derivatives. Suggestions, such as fitting a 23rd degree polynomial or using Hermite Interpolation, are discussed. The conversation also mentions considering the central force between the particles as they are both moving along Keplerian orbits.
theturbanator
Hi everyone,

I have a question about interpolation methods. I am given two particles and I know their positions, velocities, accelerations, and jerks (time derivative of acceleration) at some initial and final time-values (t0 and t1, respectively). I want to find the minimum distance between them in the range [t0,t1]; thus I need to do an interpolation. I have seen a method of Piecewise Cubic Hermite Interpolation used; however, it only uses the positions and velocities of the particles and is, therefore, not the most accurate predictor of the minimum distance. Is there an interpolation method that can be applied to two points and the three derivatives at those points that is better than the above method?

Thank you for all of your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are essentially saying that you know 8 3-vector quantities at two different times. That means that you know 48 values for the two particles or 24 for each one. You can fit a 23rd degree polynomial to those.

Well, you can't know the minimum possible, because anything could have happened in-between the start and final points.

If you just want to estimate the path of each particle, why not just assume the higher derivatives are all constant?

There are two concerns I have about that, though:

first, I thought that in order to fit a nth order polynomial, you need n-1 points?

second, polynomial interpolation of such a high order gives horrible artifacts; is there some way to keep order of the polynomial (in terms of the time variable) low, but to include the higher-order derivatives? One thing that doesn't make sense to me is that if I have more constraints on the initial and final state of the particles (because I am including the initial and final accelerations and jerks), shouldn't the interpolated path (remember I am interpolating the separation distance between the two particles) fit more accurately to the actual path?

Thanks for your input.

How about Hermite Interpolation, which, according to Wikipedia, "allows us to consider given derivatives at data points, as well as the data points themselves. The interpolation will give a polynomial that has a degree less than or equal to the number of both data points and their derivatives, minus 1."

What do you think of this method? If someone knows of a source (book, article, etc.) where this method is explained in more detail than the Wikipedia article, I would greatly appreciate it if he/she let me know.

Thanks.

And to Hurkyl: I don't know how much it helps, but we are only dealing with a central force here (the "particles" are actually planets both moving along Keplerian orbits), so the particles won't be doing anything crazy in terms of their higher derivatives

1. What is interpolation and why is it important?

Interpolation is a mathematical method used to estimate values between two known data points. It is important because it allows us to fill in missing or unknown data points, which is useful in many fields such as engineering, economics, and statistics.

2. How many points and derivatives are needed for interpolation?

For interpolation methods that use two points and three derivatives, we need a total of five known values. These include the two data points and the first, second, and third derivatives at those points.

3. What are some common interpolation methods that use two points and three derivatives?

Some common methods include cubic Hermite interpolation, cubic spline interpolation, and natural cubic spline interpolation. These methods differ in how they calculate the intermediate values between the two known points.

4. How do I choose the best interpolation method for my data?

The best method depends on the nature of your data and the level of smoothness you want in your interpolated values. Some methods, like natural cubic spline interpolation, produce smoother results while others, like cubic spline interpolation, may better preserve the shape of the data.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using interpolation methods for two points and three derivatives?

One limitation is that these methods assume a certain level of smoothness in the data, so they may not be suitable for highly erratic or noisy data. Additionally, these methods may not accurately interpolate values outside of the range of the known data points.