What are the solutions for the intersection of y=abs(x) and y=(x^2)-6?

In summary, the graphs y=abs(x) and y=(x^2)-6 intersect at x=3 and x=-3. When setting the two equations equal to each other and solving, the values of x=2 and x=-2 are not valid solutions since abs(x) = x only if x is positive. This means that the intersection points are only at x=3 and x=-3, and the other values are disregarded.
pb23me

Homework Statement

The graphs y=abs(x) and y=(x^2)-6 intersect at x=3 and x= -3
What is confusing me is when I set them equal to each other and solve (x^2)-x-6=0 and (x^2)+x-6=0 I get -3,+3,-2,+2
What is the deal with the negative 2 and pos 2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
abs(x) = x only if x is positive, so when you solve x^2-x-6=0, you need to disregard negative answers, and vice versa

pb23me said:

Homework Statement

The graphs y=abs(x) and y=(x^2)-6 intersect at x=3 and x= -3
What is confusing me is when I set them equal to each other and solve (x^2)-x-6=0 and (x^2)+x-6=0 I get -3,+3,-2,+2
What is the deal with the negative 2 and pos 2?

y= |x| is the graph of y=x with the bottom half reflected in the x-axis (so any value of x gives a positive value of y). It looks like a v basically.

Since both y=|x| and y=x2-6 are symmetrical about the y-axis, you will get 'mirrored' answers, so if you get x=2, you will get x=-2 on the next side of the graphs.

Draw them out and you will see the symmetry I am talking about.

Thanks, I did draw them out and the graphs intersect at x=3 and x=-3
They do not intersect at x=2 and x=-2 even though 2 and -2 solve the equation when I set the two functions equal to each other.

pb23me said:
Thanks, I did draw them out and the graphs intersect at x=3 and x=-3
They do not intersect at x=2 and x=-2 even though 2 and -2 solve the equation when I set the two functions equal to each other.

Yeah drawing you would see +3 and -3 but it's like wukunlin said.

wukunlin said:
abs(x) = x only if x is positive, so when you solve x^2-x-6=0, you need to disregard negative answers, and vice versa

When you solved x2-x-6=0 you had the constraint of x>0, you would ignore the x=-2.

ohhhhhhhh ok I get it now. Thanks guys

1. What is the intersection of two graphs?

The intersection of two graphs is the point at which the two graphs meet or cross each other. This point represents the values of the variables where the two graphs have the same value or solution.

2. How can I find the intersection of two graphs?

The intersection of two graphs can be found by solving the equations or functions that represent the two graphs simultaneously. This can be done by graphing the two equations and visually identifying the point of intersection, or by using algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination.

3. Can two graphs have more than one intersection?

Yes, two graphs can have more than one intersection. This can occur when the two graphs have multiple solutions or when they intersect at different points along their curves.

4. What does the intersection of two graphs represent in real life?

The intersection of two graphs can represent various scenarios in real life, such as the point where two lines of different slopes meet on a map, the point where the supply and demand curves intersect in economics, or the point where two species' population graphs intersect in biology.

5. How is the intersection of two graphs useful in scientific research?

The intersection of two graphs is useful in scientific research as it allows for the analysis of relationships between variables and the identification of common solutions or points of convergence. It can also help in making predictions and understanding the behavior of different systems or phenomena.