1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of TWO QUADRICS/Conics

1. Dec 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all the plane (x,y) all points of intersection of two quadric:
    2x^2-xy+3y^2=36,
    3x^2-4xy+5y^2=36

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I want to know the general process to solve something like this. Is the problem solved by using det somehow? Or divide by y^2 and let k=x/y then make 2 equations are solve that somehow??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2013 #2
  4. Dec 19, 2013 #3
    OK, so eq 2-eq1, then use that as eq 3. Solve eq1 and eq3 as a system, which got that answer. Is this process correct?

My class is a ring&field class. I don't see how this even related at all... No determinate needed to solve this?

5. Dec 19, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi glueball8! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    yes, that will give you two values for x/y, which you can then substitute into the original equations :wink:

(and if they weren't both 36 on the RHS, of course you would multiply one of them to make the RHSs the same)

6. Dec 22, 2013 #5
    Thanks, do you know what does this have to do with ring&fields (Abstract algebra)? I thought you had to use something special to solve it but apparently its just regular system of equations.

7. Dec 23, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i've no idea :redface:

anyone? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted