Intersection of two vector-valued functions

In summary, to prove that r1 and r2 intersect at (1,1,3), we must show that this point is a solution for both functions. To do this, we can use a different parameter for each function and find values of t and s that give (1,1,3) as a solution.
karens

Homework Statement

Prove that r1 and r2 intersect at (1,1,3).
Let r1 and r2 be defined as:

r1(t)=t^2i+tj+3t^3k
r2(t)=(t−1)i+(1/4)t^2j+(5−t)k

Homework Equations

Intersection is derived from r1=r2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I only formally get to this point and then start messing up. It gets messy and I know I'm not doing the right thing.

r1=r2 --> t^2i+tj+3t^3k = (t−1)i+(1/4)t^2j+(5−t)k

Physics news on Phys.org
it may help to write the curves with different parameterisation variables
r1(s)=s^2i+sj+st^3k

then solve for correspdoning intersection point in terms of s & t

karens said:

Homework Statement

Prove that r1 and r2 intersect at (1,1,3).
Let r1 and r2 be defined as:

r1(t)=t^2i+tj+3t^3k

Homework Equations

Intersection is derived from r1=r2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I only formally get to this point and then start messing up. It gets messy and I know I'm not doing the right thing.

r1=r2 --> t^2i+tj+3t^3k = (t−1)i+(1/4)t^2j+(5−t)k

Use a different parameter for each vector function. Just because the two curves intersection, there's no guarantee that the same value of the parameter works in both functions.

In this problem, all you need to do is to show that (1, 1, 3) is a point on both curves. In the first function, what value of t gives this point? In the second function what value of s gives the same point?

1. What is the intersection point of two vector-valued functions?

The intersection point of two vector-valued functions is the point at which the two functions have the same output values. In other words, it is the point where the two functions intersect on a graph.

2. How do you find the intersection point of two vector-valued functions?

To find the intersection point of two vector-valued functions, you need to set the equations of the two functions equal to each other and solve for the variables. The resulting values will be the coordinates of the intersection point.

3. Can two vector-valued functions intersect at more than one point?

Yes, it is possible for two vector-valued functions to intersect at more than one point. This can happen when the two functions have multiple points with the same output values.

4. What does it mean if two vector-valued functions do not have an intersection point?

If two vector-valued functions do not have an intersection point, it means that they do not have any points where their output values are equal. This could happen if the two functions are parallel or if they never intersect.

5. How can the concept of intersection of two vector-valued functions be applied in real life?

The concept of intersection of two vector-valued functions can be applied in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, the intersection point of two vector-valued functions can represent the point where two objects collide. In economics, it can represent the point where the supply and demand curves intersect, indicating the equilibrium price and quantity.