Intersections of axes and affine space

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axes Space
In summary, for fixed natural numbers N,M such that 1\leq M < N, the likelihood of an affine subspace x+V with \textrm{dim}(V)=M and x\in\mathbb{R}^N intersecting the axes \langle e_1\rangle,\ldots, \langle e_N\rangle somewhere outside the origin can be determined by the probability distribution of a random vector x and the subspace V. In examples where M=N-1, the affine subspace will intersect all axes with probability 1, and in examples where M<N-1, the affine subspace will miss all axes with probability 1.
jostpuur
Let natural numbers [itex]N,M[/itex] be fixed such that [itex]1\leq M < N[/itex]. If [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}^N[/itex] is some vector, and [itex]V\subset\mathbb{R}^N[/itex] be some subspace with [itex]\textrm{dim}(V)=M[/itex]. How likely is it, that [itex]x+V[/itex] intersects the axes [itex]\langle e_1\rangle,\ldots, \langle e_N\rangle[/itex] somewhere outside the origin?

I mean that [itex]x+V[/itex] intersects the axis [itex]\langle e_n\rangle[/itex] iff there exists [itex]\alpha\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]\alpha e_n\in x + V[/itex] and [itex]\alpha \neq 0[/itex].

By "likely" I mean that for example if [itex]x[/itex] is a sample point of some random vector, and if [itex]V[/itex] is spanned by some [itex]M[/itex] sample vectors, and if the random vectors in question can be described by non-zero probability densities, then what is the probability for intersections of [itex]x+V[/itex] and [itex]\langle e_n\rangle[/itex] to exist?

Example M=1, N=2. If we draw a random line on the plane, chances are that the line will intersect both axes. The outcome that line intersects only one axis, is a special case, which can occur with zero probability.

Example M=2, N=3. If we draw a random plane into three dimensional space, chances are that the plane will intersect all three axes. The plane can also intersect only two or one axes, but these are special cases, which can occur with zero probability.

Example M=1, N=3. If we draw a random line into three dimensional space, changes are that the line will miss all three axes. The line can intersect one or two axes, but these outcomes occur with zero probability. The outcome that the line would intersect all three axes is impossible.

Looks complicated! I don't see a pattern here. What happens when [itex]N>3[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you can ask any question about a "random vector" you will have to specify what that means- in particular what probability distribution the "random" vector will satisfy.

I was unable to prove this but I figured out sufficient rough reasoning, that convinced me, that the answer is this: If M=N-1, the affine subspace will intersect all axes with probability 1, and if M<N-1, the affine subspace will miss all axes with probability 1.

HallsofIvy's comment is not on right track. The probability densities don't need to be defined with a greater precision than what I already did. Look at the three low dimensional examples for example. It should be clear that the stuff works out like I said.

1. What is an intersection of axes?

An intersection of axes refers to the point where two or more axes on a graph intersect or meet. This point is typically represented by coordinates (x, y) and is used to plot and analyze data on a graph.

2. How is the intersection of axes related to affine space?

In affine space, the intersection of axes is important because it defines the origin, or the point (0, 0), which is used as a reference point to measure all other points in the space. This allows for the creation of a coordinate system that is essential for understanding the relationships between points and lines in affine space.

3. What is the significance of the intersection of axes in geometry and physics?

In geometry, the intersection of axes is used to represent the location of points and the direction of lines. In physics, the intersection of axes is used to measure and analyze the motion and forces acting on objects in space. It is also used to determine the position and orientation of objects in three-dimensional space.

4. Can the intersection of axes be negative?

Yes, the intersection of axes can have negative coordinates. This means that the axes intersect in a quadrant below or to the left of the origin. Negative coordinates are important in representing and analyzing data that falls below or to the left of the origin on a graph.

5. Are there any other types of intersections in affine space?

Yes, in addition to the intersection of axes, there are also intersections of lines and planes in affine space. These intersections are important in understanding the relationships between different elements in the space and are used in various mathematical and scientific applications.