Is Going to an Intl EE Masters Program Before a US EE PhD a Disadvantage?

In summary, the person is a 2008 graduate from a top US school with a BS in EE and a GPA of 3.5. They have no formal research experience but have been involved in entrepreneurial non-EE related activities since then. They have decided to pursue an MS and potentially a PhD in the US, but have missed the deadline for 2012 admissions. They are considering applying to UK/International MS programs and then applying for a US PhD after, or doing research/internships and applying for a US MS in 2013. They prefer not to wait too long to start their studies and are interested in studying internationally for cultural reasons. They are wondering if attending a UK/International school for their MS will put them
Cheesedawg
Intl EE Masters --> US EE PhD

I graduated in '08 from a top 10-15 US school with a BS EE and a GPA of about 3.5 with no formal research experience.

I've done entrepreneurial non-EE related things since then.

I'm now realizing that I want to get at least an MS and likely a PhD, depending on how the MS goes. I'm too late to apply to North American schools for the 2012 starting date.

Please help me evaluate these options given that my goal is to get into a top US PhD program:

1) Apply to a few UK/Intl MS programs and go to best one possible starting in 2012

2) Do some kind of research and/or internship this year and then apply for a US MS starting in 2013

All else equal, I'd rather not wait over 18 months just to start as I'm already 26 and behind schedule. I'd also enjoy studying internationally for cultural reasons.

So will it be a big disadvantage to go to a UK/Intl school and apply for a US PhD after that?

Any thoughts on good match schools to apply to? Imperial seems very good but very selective. Was also looking at King's College, Manchester, and Edinburgh.

Physics news on Phys.org

I have not even started college yet *but* I wouldn't even apply to a UK program unless:
a) I were from the EU
or
b) I had substantial scholarship money
Actually, for postgrad programs, it's expensive for EU passport holders as well.

Germany, Switzerland and France all have programs you could look into. Why would you think Imperial or King's London would be a better choice than say, ETH-Z? I mean, rankings aside?

I have an EU passport and though money is a factor, I am much more concerned with primarily academics/research opportunities and then location and then cost.

1. What is the difference between an international EE Masters program and a US EE PhD program?

An international EE Masters program typically focuses on coursework and may offer some research opportunities, while a US EE PhD program is primarily research-based and requires students to conduct original research in their field of study.

2. Can I apply directly to a US EE PhD program after completing an international EE Masters program?

Yes, you can apply directly to a US EE PhD program after completing an international EE Masters program. However, it is important to note that the admissions process for PhD programs in the US can be highly competitive and may require additional application materials.

3. Will my international EE Masters degree be recognized in the US for a PhD program?

In most cases, yes. The US has a strong reputation for higher education, and many universities will recognize the value of an international EE Masters degree. However, it is always best to check with the specific university and program you are interested in to ensure that your degree will be recognized.

4. Are there any language requirements for international students applying to US EE PhD programs?

Some universities may require international students to provide proof of English proficiency, such as a TOEFL or IELTS score, as part of their application. However, this requirement may be waived for students who have completed their undergraduate or Masters degree in English.

5. Can I receive financial aid or scholarships for a US EE PhD program as an international student?

Yes, international students are eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships for US EE PhD programs. However, the availability and amount of funding may vary depending on the university and program. It is important to research and apply for financial aid and scholarships early in the application process.