1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft

1. Dec 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the intrinsic first critical speed of a circular steel shaft supported by two bearings
    E=207GPa

How can i determine it i'm very confused about this question , you can see the question at the attachment. Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Specifically, what are you confused about? Do you understand how to calculate the critical speed of a shaft? Have you been exposed to the Rayleigh Method? Dunkerley's equation?

4. Dec 24, 2013 #3
    i'm not so good at this lecture. The part i'm confused is there is 3 different regions in the shaft so do i have to calculate for each of them and take the lowest one? i know the Rayleigh Method and the Dunkerley's Equation but i need to use m ( mass ) in those equations , the problem is only E is given to me. Where do i have to start to solve this

5. Dec 24, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The OP says it is a steel shaft, so you can look up the density of steel and figure the mass of the shaft.

I think your first order of business is to analyze the shaft statically and determine its deflection between the bearings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted