Integration: Notes and Tips for Differentiation in Scientific Research?

In summary, the conversation is about a PDF that contains notes modified for posting, with thanks given to those who reviewed it. The creator welcomes comments and corrections and notes that a corrected version will be posted. There is a discussion about the accuracy and reliability of the PDF, with the creator emphasizing that it is meant to supplement learning materials. One person suggests a more generalized version of a concept and thanks are given for sharing.
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The following PDF contains some notes I prepared and modified slightly for posting here. Its been modified to compliment Hootenanny's differentiation thread. Many thanks to Hootenanny for reviewing it along with Dr. Transport and rbj and others.

As ever, any comments, corrections/suggestions can be directed to me by private message.

Corrections will be posted in this thread. Hopefully there won't be too many. :smile:

View attachment Intro to Integration 2.pdf

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's awesome.. good work Kurdt!

Just a note to remind users that this is an informal reference and shouldn't be used as a students only resource for learning.

Shouldn't there be some absolute value signs in the section dealing with trigonometric substitution?

Big-T said:
Shouldn't there be some absolute value signs in the section dealing with trigonometric substitution?

You'll need to be more specific than that! :wink:

In the middle of page 8 (:wink:), it says that [tex]\sqrt{a^2\cos^2x}=a\cos x[/tex].

There should be an updated version coming soon with a few corrections.

Great work, Kurdt. THANKS!

Thank you for this, I will read through it since this is my study level right now.
Is this something I can rely on though, as fully accurate?

Sci.Jayme said:
Thank you for this, I will read through it since this is my study level right now.
Is this something I can rely on though, as fully accurate?

As I have said in a previous post, this is something that should not be used by itself by students. It is made to supplement textbooks and course notes as more of a quick reference guide. Some people have already pointed mistakes out and that's why I'm working on an updated version (when I get the time). If you spot any please post them in this thread.

You might also mention a more generalized version of FTC:

If [tex] F(x) \, = \, \int_{g(x)}^{h(x)} f(t) \, dt [/tex], then [tex] F'(x) \, = \, f(h(x))h'(x) \, - \, f(g(x))g'(x) [/tex]

Last edited:
Cool man - thanks for sharing this.

Related to Integration: Notes and Tips for Differentiation in Scientific Research?

1. What is integration?

Integration is the mathematical process of finding the area under a curve. It involves breaking down a complex shape into smaller, simpler shapes and summing up their areas to find the total area.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It helps in solving real-world problems that involve finding the total quantity or value of something.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the area under a curve between two specific limits, whereas indefinite integration involves finding the general solution to an integration problem without any limits.

4. How is integration related to differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. Integration is the reverse process of differentiation, and differentiation is the reverse process of integration. This means that if a function is integrated and then differentiated, it will return to its original form.

5. What are some common integration techniques?

Some common integration techniques include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, and using tables of integrals. Each technique is useful for solving different types of integration problems and can be combined for more complex integrals.