Intro to LaTex Tutorial: Moving to New Section

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of moving the "Intro to LaTex" thread from General Physics to a more appropriate section, such as the tutorial section. The possibility of creating a "What every member should know" section is also mentioned. It is suggested that the thread should be made into a sticky in the main tutorial forum, and a link to it could be added in the global guidelines for more exposure to new members.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
LaTex "tutorial"

Would anybody object to moving the "Intro to LaTex" thread in General Physics to the new tutorial section?

Physics news on Phys.org
Great idea, IMO. I say go for it.

It is done, I put it into the Intro Physics section but it doesn't really fit there very well. Maybe we need a "What every member should know" section.

I think it'd be more appropriate as a sticky in the main tutorial forum, no? (The one one is taken to by clicking the link on the main page.) After all, it applies just as much to mathematics or pretty much any discipline that uses formal symbols.

Do we have a link to the Latex intro thread in the global guidelines? Maybe we could throw one in there to give it more exposure, particularly to new members.

Related to Intro to LaTex Tutorial: Moving to New Section

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting system commonly used for creating documents with high-quality mathematical and scientific equations and symbols. It is widely used in academic and technical fields for its precise formatting and efficient handling of complex equations.

2. Why should I use LaTeX?

LaTeX is a powerful tool for creating professional-looking documents with complex equations. It also allows for easy collaboration and version control, and produces high-quality output for both digital and print formats. Additionally, many academic journals and conferences require submissions in LaTeX format.

3. How do I install LaTeX?

LaTeX is available for free and can be downloaded from the official website. It is compatible with most operating systems and can be installed using a variety of methods, such as the TeX Live distribution or MiKTeX.

4. What is the structure of a LaTeX document?

A LaTeX document is composed of a preamble, document class, and document body. The preamble contains information about the document formatting and packages to be used. The document class defines the type of document being created, such as an article or book. The document body contains the actual content of the document, including text, equations, and formatting commands.

5. How do I create a new section in a LaTeX document?

To create a new section in a LaTeX document, use the \section{} command, followed by the title of the section within the curly braces. For example, \section{Introduction} will create a new section titled "Introduction". You can also use the \subsection{} and \subsubsection{} commands for creating subsections and subsubsections, respectively.