Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction and general help regarding powers

1. May 23, 2012 #1
    Hi there, Good evening all.

Ok, Ive just started my HNC in electrical engineering (1 month in via open learning)and to be honest, I'm struggling. I understand all the concepts of the equations regarding bending moments, shear force diagrams etc but i cant seem to get to grip with the equations.. I have a level maths but i achieved this 8-9 years ago so i'm after a bit of directional help.

Q1, what or how is the best way to write to the 'poer minus 4' ( the minus sign up in the air)?
    Q2, Can anyone explain to me in simple terms the best way to understand poers e.g. 1mm4=(1x10^3)4=1x10^12M

Also if there is any good reading material out there that may be useful please point me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Harrison01! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    first, there's a "w" in there … "powers" (rhymes with "hours") :wink:

"x to the minus 4"

"x-4"

"1/x4"
    do you mean "one milllimetre"? that's 0.001 m, or 10-3 m

if you want that to the 4th power, that's (10-3 m)4,=10-12 m4

("m4" is like "s2", it's a maths thing, it doesn't mean anything you can draw)

4. May 25, 2012 #3
    Re: Introduction and general help regarding poers..

cheers for the reply tim,

1mm=0.001M=10-3

But what is the best way to write to the minus 3. is there a common symbol as i cant get the - to go higher than the norm..

5. May 25, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Harrison01! :smile:
    on this forum, you can use the X2 button just above the reply box,

([NOPARSE]or type 10-3[/NOPARSE])

alternatively, write 1/10³ :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook