Introduction and general help regarding powers

In summary, Harrison01 is a student struggling with equations in their HNC in electrical engineering. They are seeking help with understanding how to write and manipulate powers, specifically with a negative exponent. They are also looking for recommendations for good reading material.
Harrison01
Hi there, Good evening all.

Ok, I've just started my HNC in electrical engineering (1 month in via open learning)and to be honest, I'm struggling. I understand all the concepts of the equations regarding bending moments, shear force diagrams etc but i can't seem to get to grip with the equations.. I have a level maths but i achieved this 8-9 years ago so I'm after a bit of directional help.

Q1, what or how is the best way to write to the 'poer minus 4' ( the minus sign up in the air)?
Q2, Can anyone explain to me in simple terms the best way to understand poers e.g. 1mm4=(1x10^3)4=1x10^12M

Also if there is any good reading material out there that may be useful please point me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Harrison01! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Harrison01 said:
Q1, what or how is the best way to write to the 'poer minus 4' ( the minus sign up in the air)?

first, there's a "w" in there … "powers" (rhymes with "hours") :wink:

"x to the minus 4"

"x-4"

"1/x4"
Q2, Can anyone explain to me in simple terms the best way to understand poers e.g. 1mm4=(1x10^3)4=1x10^12M

do you mean "one milllimetre"? that's 0.001 m, or 10-3 m

if you want that to the 4th power, that's (10-3 m)4,=10-12 m4

("m4" is like "s2", it's a maths thing, it doesn't mean anything you can draw)

cheers for the reply tim,

1mm=0.001M=10-3

But what is the best way to write to the minus 3. is there a common symbol as i can't get the - to go higher than the norm..

Hi Harrison01! :smile:
Harrison01 said:
But what is the best way to write to the minus 3. is there a common symbol as i can't get the - to go higher than the norm..

on this forum, you can use the X2 button just above the reply box,

([NOPARSE]or type 10-3[/NOPARSE])

alternatively, write 1/10³ :wink:

As a scientist with a background in electrical engineering, I understand the challenges you may be facing in grasping the equations and concepts related to powers. It can be overwhelming to revisit mathematical concepts after a long period of time, but with practice and guidance, you can surely overcome this challenge.

To answer your first question, the best way to write "power minus 4" is to use the exponent notation, which is represented by a superscript. For example, "power minus 4" can be written as P^-4.

In simple terms, powers are a way to represent repeated multiplication of a number by itself. For instance, 1mm^4 means that 1mm is multiplied by itself 4 times, resulting in a very large number (1x10^12). This is often used in scientific notation to represent very large or very small numbers in a more compact form.

To improve your understanding of powers, I would suggest practicing with various examples and also seeking guidance from your course materials or instructors. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available that can provide a more in-depth explanation of powers and their applications in electrical engineering.

I wish you all the best in your studies and hope that this response has provided some helpful insights. Keep practicing and don't hesitate to seek help when needed. Good luck!

Related to Introduction and general help regarding powers

1. What are powers and why are they important?

Powers, also known as exponents, are mathematical operations that indicate the number of times a base number is multiplied by itself. They are important because they allow us to efficiently represent and work with large numbers and complex calculations.

2. How do I read and write powers?

To read a power, we say the base number followed by the exponent, such as 3 to the power of 2 (3^2). This would be read as "3 squared" and means that 3 is multiplied by itself 2 times (3 x 3 = 9). To write a power, the base number is written first, followed by a superscript (small, raised number) for the exponent.

3. What is the difference between a base number and an exponent?

The base number is the number that is being multiplied by itself, while the exponent is the number that indicates how many times the base number is multiplied. For example, in the power 2^3, 2 is the base number and 3 is the exponent.

4. How do I simplify powers?

To simplify powers, we use the rules of exponents. These include multiplying powers with the same base number by adding the exponents, dividing powers with the same base number by subtracting the exponents, and raising a power to another power by multiplying the exponents.

5. What are some real-life applications of powers?

Powers are used in many fields of science and technology, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are also used in finance and economics to calculate compound interest and growth rates. In everyday life, powers are used to represent large quantities, such as in scientific notation, and to solve problems involving repeated calculations, such as in computer algorithms.