Introduction to Calculus?

In summary, the person is looking for a book that will introduce them to Calculus and has practice problems with applications to Physics. They have found a book called Calculus Made Easy, but are unsure if it has the desired Physics application. They are also open to recommendations for other books. Some suggested titles include Calculus by Michael Spivak, Differential and Integral Calculus by Richard Courant, and Calculus with Linear Algebra by Tom Apostol. The person also mentions that their Physics teacher, who is also their Calculus teacher, can provide assistance if needed. Another person recommends the book Calculus for Dummies for beginners with Physics applications.
Helical
I'm searching for a book that will introduce me to Calculus with practice problems that have some application to Physics (I would prefer this). I think I may have found a good book (I'm not sure if it has the Physics application but oh well). It is called Calculus Made Easy, and it's apparently a revised edition of an older book. I would like to know if this is a good starting point. I am still in High School and if there are things that I would need some help with my Physics teacher (who also happens to be the Calculus teacher) would be glad to help me. Also are there any other books you might reccomend. Thanks.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, couldn't find a section that seemed more suitable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the best books on the subject are:

Calculus by Michael Spivak
Differential and Integral Calculus by Richard Courant
Calculus with Linear Algebra by Tom Apostol

For a solid applications book get the one by Thomas or Stewart, although Courant balances theory and application wonderfully.

Get the one by Morris Kline. I think it's precisely what you're looking for.

ahaha Calculus 1 and Calculus 2, by Morris Kline? I've read them, they are complete crap for a newbie. Try Calculus for Dummies, not that your stupid but that your new, and it has physics applications. Morris Klines book is out of your grasp.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and motion. It is primarily concerned with the concepts of derivatives and integrals, which are used to analyze and solve problems involving changing quantities.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a powerful set of tools for analyzing and solving real-world problems. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to model and understand complex systems.

3. How is Calculus different from other branches of mathematics?

Calculus is different from other branches of mathematics in that it focuses on the concept of change. Unlike algebra or geometry, which deal with static quantities, Calculus deals with continuously changing quantities and their rates of change.

4. What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities and the calculation of areas under curves.

5. What are some practical applications of Calculus?

Calculus has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to solve problems involving motion, optimization, growth and decay, and many other real-world phenomena.