1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory analysis question

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    sGTmGUb.png

I've split the proof for part a) into 3 parts:

here's what I have thus far:

1) to prove H is an upper bound consider: [itex]H < 0[/itex] as an upper bound for S. We take [itex]H = -1[/itex] and hence [itex]H^2 = 1[/itex] and [itex]1 \leq 3[/itex]. 1 is in the set S and hence [itex]H < 0 [/itex]is not an upper bound which implies that [itex]H > 0[/itex] is an upper bound.

2) consider [itex]H^2 < 3[/itex]is an upper bound, and for N belonging to the natural numbers [itex]H + 1/N[/itex] is a rational number. Consider [itex](H+1/N)^2 = H^2 + 2H/N + 1/N^2 < 3 [/itex]for N sufficiently large. This implies that [itex]H + 1/N[/itex] is in the set S, but[itex] H + 1/N > H[/itex] hence a contradiction therefore[itex] H^2 < 3[/itex] is not an upper bound and [itex]H^2 \geq 3[/itex] is.

3)if H is a rational number and [itex]H >0[/itex], [itex]H^2 \geq3[/itex] we see [itex]H\geq \sqrt{3}[/itex] as [itex]H > 0[/itex] thus all [itex]H\geq \sqrt{3} [/itex] are upper bounds as [itex]x \leq \sqrt{3}[/itex]. That is all I have for part a),

is this correct?

for part b) here is what I have:
    I called [itex]H' = H - 1/N[/itex] and tried to prove it by contradiction, i.e. assume[itex]H - 1/N <\sqrt{3}[/itex] but I got to [itex]H < \sqrt{3} + 1/N[/itex] and we know [itex]H \geq \sqrt{3}[/itex] from part a), and for N sufficiently large 1/N = 0, but I don't really think this is a good enough contradiction, for instance. [itex]\sqrt{3}\leq H < \sqrt{3} + 1/N[/itex] is ok, if N is say 2 or so. How would I go about contradicting this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Part 1 is not good, as all you've shown is that -1 would be in the set if negative numbers were allowed in the set (which they aren't anyway).

Part 2 and 3 are basically OK but you have some language issues (which also show up in part 1). When you say
    you haven't said anything meaningful. [itex] H^2 \geq 3 [/itex] isn't an upper bound, it's a condition which upper bounds must satisfy. A correct statement would be something like 'therefore if H is an upper bound, [itex] H^2 \geq 3[/itex].

For part b you basically want to copy your (2) idea. You know that if H is an upper bound of S in Q then H is not equal to [itex] \sqrt{3}[/itex] - or you should go ahead and prove that the square root of 3 is irrational - so H2 > 3 strictly. Therefore (H-1/N)2 > 3 if N is small enough (you have to prove this).

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3
    Thank you for correcting my language issues, I understand my presentation is not very good, but I'm trying to improve.

I don't understand what you mean by (1)? I'm trying to show that if H is an upper bound, then H>0 and H^2 > 3, with 1), I'm using contradiction by assuming H<=0 is the upper bound then going on to show that this is impossible hence H>0 must be an upper bound. Then from 2) I use a similar argument to show H^2 >= 3 must be an upper bound (by contradiction). Could you explain where I've gone wrong here?

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4
    OK for part b) here is what I got so far

Assume that ## (H-1/N)^2 < 3 ## then we have ## H < \sqrt{3} + 1/N ## for ## N \in \mathbb{N} ## as ## H > \sqrt{3} ## we get ## \sqrt{3} < H < \sqrt{3} + 1/N ## and for N very large (specifically for ## N > \frac{1}{H-\sqrt{3}} ## ) we get ## 1/N ## tending to 0, hence ## \sqrt{3} < H < \sqrt{3} ## which is a contradiction hence ## (H-1/N)^2 > 3##

I'm not sure if this is correct, but that's all I can get so far from it, please advise.

6. Oct 15, 2013 #5
    I haven't looked at a problem like this in a while. I came up with this idea.
    Take ##P,H\in \mathbb{Q}## Such that ##P>\sqrt{3}>H ## and assume
    $$H + \frac{1}{N} \notin (H, P) \forall\ N\in\mathbb{N}\implies H = P = \sqrt{3}$$
    since for all rational numbers, take ##x,y \in \mathbb{N}##
    $$\frac{x}{y} + \frac{1}{2y} < \frac{x+1}{y}$$
    or
    $$\frac{x}{y} + (\frac{1}{2})(\frac{1}{y}) < \frac{x}{y} + \frac{1}{y}$$
    I believe this proves both a and b

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  7. Oct 15, 2013 #6
    Hmm I'm not sure if this works but I believe my proof is incomplete.
    Assume ##P## is the smallest rational number greater than ##\sqrt{3}##
    $$\implies \exists Z\in\mathbb{Q}\ and\ Z\in [H,P]\ |\ Z < \sqrt{3} \implies 3 > Z^2 > H^2$$
    I believe we can make the assumption the other way in order to prove that there is an infinite amount of rational numbers across ##[H,P]##
    I'm not sure if this is allowed, any feedback would be great !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted