Introductory Astrophysics Textbook Recommendations?

• Thread starter darkchild
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, A Textbook of Astronomy and Astrophysics with Elements of Cosmology by Vishnu Bhatia is recommended as an introductory general astrophysics text for senior physics undergraduates. It covers topics such as celestial coordinates, stellar structure and atmospheres, energy generation, and galactic structure. It also introduces the Robertson-Walker metric and Friedman models of the universe. Another recommended option is Universe by Freedman, which includes historical facts and is comprehensive. Introduction to Modern Astrophysics by Carroll and Ostlie is also recommended for its comprehensive coverage, but it is quite long and does not have color images.
darkchild
Can anyone recommend an introductory general Astrophysics text for a senior physics undergrad? I'm looking for something that has at least a moderate amount of mathematical examples, and is heavy on exposition (even ad nauseum). I like textbooks that include some history of the subject, for example, a book that explains where equations come from, as opposed to just spewing them out at the reader. I also tend to prefer the writing style that can be found in books written by the OG scientists (i.e. Maxwell, Planck, etc.).

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read any books about astrophysics or anything like that, but Google brings http://www.tower.com/a-textbook-astronomy-astrophysics-with-elements-cosmology-vishnu-bhagwan-bhatia-hardcover/wapi/102158339" up.

Designed for students who have a basic understanding of physics and mathematics, this text provides a fundamental, three-in-one introduction to astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology. The astronomy section explores fundamental topics such as the celestial coordinate system, stellar classification schemes, H-R diagrams, and the masses and radii of stars. The astrophysics section addresses stellar structure, stellar atmospheres, energy generation in stars, and nucleosynthesis. Also covering galactic structure and rotation, the cosmology section introduces the Robertson-Walker metric and Friedman models of the universe and discusses the present status of the Hubble constant along with problems associated with the age of the universe. Numerous problems, diagrams, and up-to-date references make this an ideal introductory text for graduate courses in physics, mathematics, space physics, or any program for which astronomy is an option.

From http://www.citeulike.org/user/jasmithoffice/article/3021096

Last edited by a moderator:
I find Introduction to Modern Astrophysics by Carroll and Ostlie to be an amazingly comprehensive reference. Highly recommended.

The only "bad" things about is that it is ENORMOUS - 1400pages

And no color images :(

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a textbook?

When choosing a textbook, it is important to consider factors such as the subject matter, the level of difficulty, the author's qualifications, the publication date, and any additional resources or online materials that may be included.

2. How can I find the best textbook for my specific course or area of study?

To find the best textbook for your course or area of study, you can ask your professor or colleagues for recommendations, read reviews from other students, and compare different textbooks based on the factors mentioned above.

3. Are there any online resources or databases that can help me find textbook recommendations?

Yes, there are several online resources and databases that can help you find textbook recommendations. Some popular options include Goodreads, Amazon, and Chegg. Your university or institution may also have a library database with textbook recommendations.

4. How can I save money on textbooks without sacrificing quality?

You can save money on textbooks by renting or buying used textbooks, purchasing digital versions, or looking for older editions of the same textbook. You can also check if your university or institution has a textbook rental program or if there are any student-run textbook exchange groups.

5. Can I use textbooks from previous editions or different authors?

It is generally recommended to use the textbook that is required for your course, as the content may vary between editions and authors. However, if the changes between editions are minor and your professor approves, you may be able to use an older edition or a textbook written by a different author.